1893 Takedown

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

miker557
Beginner

1893 Takedown

Post by miker557 »

How common is it to find an 1893 takedown (30-30) with a 20-inch octagon barrel? I picked one up recently, and have an order in to the Cody museum for a letter (it was made in 1901, I know that much), but I haven't seen many carbine-length guns with an octagon barrel before.

Also, I took it out last weekend and shot it (after thoroughly cleaning it), and while it shoots nice, sometimes the action sticks after firing one round - any ideas? It's factory ammo, the cases aren't bulged, there's no signs of overpressure, and the cases are clean (no dirt, no pockmarks as if there were dirt in the chamber). The chamber is clean and smooth, there's apparently nothing in it that would grab a case .... anybody got any ideas?

Miker

(photos coming soon)
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: 1893 Takedown

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Miker;

The fact that your gun is a takedown action would tend to lead one to believe your gun may be correct. No one in their right mind would try to cut down a takedown action magazine tube. Lots of problems to do that correctly.
Unless your gun left the factory with a longer barrel and a half magazine, it may be correct. The records should show one way or the other.
Have you actually measured a fired case to see if maybe the whole chamber has been reamed some and that is causing the action to stick?
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
GrandpaBear
Beginner

Post by GrandpaBear »

I know this is a little late, but you have a very expensive rifle.
According to Blue Book of Gun Values, your rifle is worth 15%-20% more than a normal model.
Yes, the takedown is a valid model.
I suggest you invest in a Blue Book of Gun Values subscription.
I'd love to see a photo of that rifle.
NRA Certified Instructor & CRSO
miker557
Beginner

Post by miker557 »

Okay, here it is....

Closeup of the receiver ...

Image]

The other side ...

And a closeup of the hand guard ......

I do own the 36th edition of Mr. Fjestad's book, and have seen the prices in that edition ... I paid $1200 for this one .....

Miker
miker557
Beginner

Post by miker557 »

Well, the Cody letter came in today, and it left the factory on January 14, 1901 as a 20" octagon take-down rifle in 30-30. I guess it's all original.
Road King
Expert

Post by Road King »

I have a passion for short rifles so congratulations on finding a very scarce Marlin Short rifle in a takedown. Yes you got a good deal.
Road King
" More guns then I need, but not as many as I want."