Model 1893 parts

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Rulec51@yahoo.com
Beginner

Model 1893 parts

Post by Rulec51@yahoo.com »

I just bought a model 1893 serial number 387640 with a 19" barrel in 30-30. The mag tube goes almost to the end of the barrel but stops an 1 3/4 short of the end. I need to get replacement wood but don't know the year or type(carbine or rifle) of gun I have to determine which stock to get. It does have a round barrel. To me 19" is an odd barrel length , has mine been cut off? Any info would be greatly appreciated
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Model 1893 parts

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Rulec51;

Your serial number is too high for the existing records, so that will not help.
Does your gun have a rifle style forearm cap, or does is have a band around the forearm and barrel like a carbine? What style butt plate does it have?
19 inches is an odd length, and the magazine tube ending 1 3/4 inch from the end of the barrel is also an odd length, which would tend to lead towards a cut off barrel, and maybe magazine tube.
What does the centerline of the front sight dovetail measure from the end of the barrel? How is the end of the barrel finished, is it flat or crowned?
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Rulec51@yahoo.com
Beginner

The centerline of the front site dovetail to the end of the barrel measures 1/2". The forend tip is a rifle type and the front of the barrel is flat which along with the odd length led me to think it had been cut off. I have no idea of the butplate because it does not have 1893 wood on it. I'm pretty sure it's 1894 butchered to fit
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Rulec51;

The end of the barrel should be flat, as that is the way Marlin finished the end of their barrels. But....it still does not mean the barrel has not been cut off. The front sight is too close to the end of the barrel, indicating it has been cut.
With a rifle style forearm cap, then this would be a rifle, and Marlin had a couple of different butt plates at the time this gun would have been made. There is a crescent, steel butt plate with the "heel" over the top and then there is the MFCo. hard rubber butt plate. I would go with the steel butt plate.
Precision Gun Stocks of Kerrville, Texas make new stocks, pretty much ready to go with some slight fitting. They also have the correct style crescent style butt plate for their stock.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Rulec51@yahoo.com
Beginner

Can you tell by how close the front site is how much was cut off
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Front sight should be @1" to center from end of barrel. But that wont tell us how much was cut off. Since the magazine is too short, or too long, it doesn't match the original magazine orientation Marlin used either. End of the mag tubes were only slightly shorter than the barrel, or half mags, button mags, etc. But 1.5" just isn't correct for any Marlin.
Here's a picture of the orientation for full length magazines tubes:

Guessing your gun might have been a typical standard 26" and for whatever reason someone shortened it with no regard for keeping it original in appearance. I've seen many done this way, and rarely see one done correctly to disguise the barrel shortening.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Rulec51@yahoo.com
Beginner

Thanks for all the info guys, I was wanting to restore but finding a barrel and appropriate magazine tube is probably not going to be easy. So I'll probably order a stock set and just shoot cast bullets thanks again