Using 32 Short Colt in an 1892

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

MarlinNewby
Beginner

Using 32 Short Colt in an 1892

Post by MarlinNewby »

I have a Marlin 1892 in .32 Colt. According to the catalog of the time period when mine was manufactured, it should shoot .32 Rf and CF (I have both firing pins) and should shoot Short, Long and Long Rifle. I have shot all three in it but the Shorts don't feed properly. Basically, a second round is partially pushed out of the magazine so the action hangs up when you try to chamber the next round. It seems that there should be something that stops more than one round from leaving the magazine after you work the action, but I can't figure out what. The drawings in the catalog do not note anything in particular (at least to my eye) and I don't seem to notice anything visually in the rifle's workings. I bought a new carrier from Wisner's in case it was just a wear and tear issue, but have the same problem. Longs and Long Rifles work fine.

Most of the ammunition you run across these days are Shorts, so it would be nice to have it working correctly. It is a FUN little rifle to shoot and is surprisingly accurate (1.25" groups at 30 yards standing with no rest).

Anyone have any suggestions?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Using 32 Short Colt in an 1892

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

MarlinNewby;

The cartridge cut-off in the side of the receiver should be stopping the next cartridge from entering the lifter. Check the timing of the lifter and the bolt when moving the action lever. The "tail" of the firing pin depresses the cartridge cut-off to allow the next cartridge to enter the lifter when the lever is moved backward, and then lifter should start to lift and cut off the magazine tube. The lever, tail of firing pin, lifter and cut-off all work together to keep the cartridges from jamming the action.
You may need to take the cut-off out of the action and clean the action and cut-off spring. Check for any undue wear on any of the involved parts that could throw the timing off. If you look at the action drawings, you will see how the action pieces all work together.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
MarlinNewby
Beginner

Post by MarlinNewby »

Thank you very much for your reply! Should I refer to you as "Gunrunner" or "Regnier"? I am new to the boards and would like to get it right so as not to inadvertently offend. :D

Just to make sure I have my terminology correct and I am seeing things right (my eyes ain't what they used to be!), what part do you mean by "cartridge cut-off"? I don't see anything in the receiver that matches that description (which could be the problem). However, the Marlin catalog does show a "cartridge stop" but states that it is for the .22 cal version only and mine is a .32 cal. There is also a verbal description of how the actions works and that jibes with your description except for the "cartridge cut-off" part.

So it seems like the issue might be timing (depending on the resolution of the terminology above). If that is the case, what should I be looking at? Could it be a lubrication problem? I have just been putting a light coat of gun oil on the moving parts. Should I be using more than that or even move up to a grease of some sort? I have some M1 Garand grease that I could dab on the friction areas. Pretty much all of the ammunition I have is smokeless powder so I should not have to worry about any strange reactions between the Garand grease and black powder. Thoughts?

Once again, thank you very much for your reply to my question. This is a great little gun and it is not hard to see why people get very attached to them!

Have a Great weekend!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

MarlinNewby;

You can call me by either name. I use them both.
You may have an earlier version of the Model 1892, (made prior to 1899) that did not have the cartridge cut-off in the side of the receiver. The Model 1892 came out in 1895, so there was four years of production before Marlin added the improvement to the action. The .22 caliber cartridge stop is a different part, that was mounted in the removable sideplate.
Anyway, the cartridge cut-off would be on the inside of the side of the receiver, in line with the magazine tube. If it is not there, you have a Model 1892 made prior to 1899. Is your serial number below or near 175,000?
If your gun does not have the cartridge cut-off, then the action timing must be absolutely correct to use the short cartridges. Even then, you may still have problems. Marlin recognized the problem and added the cartridge cut-off to eliminate the problem.
I do not like to have any light oil in my guns. Over time, if your rifle is stood up, the oil can drain down the action into the upper part of the butt stock which is not good. I have used a very small amount of white lithium grease on just on pivot points or moving parts only.

MarlinNewby
Beginner

Post by MarlinNewby »

Once again, Gunrunner, thank you very much.

I think we have our answer. My 1892 is serial number 178xxx and if I remember correctly (I can't put my hand on my list), it left the factory in 1898 which would put it squarely in the early version. Bittersweet that. It is nice to have more information about my particular rifle, but a bummer because it is a known problem that the manufacturer eventually fixed. With the rifle being almost 120 years old, I am not optimistic about getting the timing perfect. I was thinking that since I had the new carrier from Wisner's, I could just put a block part way down the cartridge groove to stop the Shorts at the proper spot. Then I would just switch out the carrier depending on which ammunition I was shooting. It also had the added benefit of NOT modifying the original part which can be used for Long and Long Rifle rounds.

The M1 Garand grease is essentially lithium grease and a little dab will do ya! If you have ever seen the little pots that fit in the stock, it is usually reddish brown in color. It was white when it was new but one of the components oxidizes to the reddish brown over time. Doesn't affect the lubricating properties, just the color. Anyway, I will switch to that or straight white lithium grease for lubrication from here on out.

I have only been using enough gun oil for a light coat to prevent rust. No puddles allowed, just wipe it down with a cloth with a little oil on it. Is this still okay or should I use a different technique? I live in Rapid City, SD so humidity is NOT a problem and I could probably leave it bare so long as I put some silica gel packs in the case with it.

Once again, thank you very much for your time and knowledge. Have a Great weekend!!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

MarlinNewby;

I put a little oil on a rag to wipe the outside metal surfaces of my guns leaving almost no oil on the surface. Just enough to protect the metal surfaces only, no oil on wood!
Your idea of the different carrier with a block should work, so long as the nose of the bullet in the carrier is right at the end of the carrier to prevent the next cartridge in the magazine tube from exiting the tube onto the carrier. Once the carrier starts to lift, the end of the carrier will cut off the magazine tube cartridge.
Good luck with the idea, I hope it works for you.

miker557
Beginner

Post by miker557 »

Can anybody please post some good photos of a COMPLETE cartridge cut-off for the 1892? I have one, but the cut-off is broken, and both of the ones that Numrich sent are broken also (and shorter than the one I have). I believe I can fabricate a replacement, if I know what it looks like, both in and out of the side plate. Is there someone out there with a functioning gun that can help? Please?

Miker