Early Marlin model 39 issues.

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

lysaker57
Beginner

Early Marlin model 39 issues.

Post by lysaker57 »

Dear Gentlemen and Ladies,
I have an early Marlin model 39, S prefix S117XX, I acquired this from an auction. The original owner was a gunsmith who owned 4 of these and I was able to secure one. But there are some things I am having trouble figuring out. The tube feed was replaced with a newer one which of course is the standard on most Marlin 22 rimfire rifles, and I have having trouble finding any kind of rear sight elevator as most all I have seen the barrel appears notched whereas mine has a screwed on rear sight minus the sight elevator. I have found a replacement butt plate but I'm guessing not the original style. It is a marlin with the word "safety" on it as well. The thumb screw was replaced at some point so not the original. This gun functions and fires well but I have used subsonic 22LR rounds to test do to knowing they were not made for todays modern ammunition. I need some answers to puzzling questions, original rear sight or not? Can a rear sight elevator be found? Is this worth all the fuss or should I sell? I can add pictures if that would help someone answer my questions.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Early Marlin model 39 issues.

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Lysaker57;

The rear sight you describe is not the correct sight for a Model 39 Marlin lever action rifle. The correct sight is dovetailed into the barrel slot, and looks like a regular buckhorn style sight with a "fish hook" style elevator. These show up on eBay from time to time, but can get a little expensive for nice ones.
The butt plate you describe is not correct for the Model 39 either. The correct butt plate for the Model 39 has "Marlin" in a vertical oval shape surround. Good reproductions can be found at N.C. Ordinance or www.gungrip.com The butt plate you describe is for the earlier Marlin's such as the 1892, 1893, 1894, 1895 and 1897.
Finding a correct magazine tube is another problem altogether. They seldom show up on eBay, and when they do, the price will climb. I am not use if the "S" serial number prefix guns use the lever style release or the round, push button style release. Not exactly sure when the change occurred in the Marlin line.
The "S" prefix guns should not use high speed ammunition. Standard velocity or target ammunition only.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.