Marlin 336 R.C.

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

MedicCop
Beginner

Marlin 336 R.C.

Post by MedicCop »

Hullo All,

i have recently been gifted with a beautiful old Marlin 336 R.C. Lever Action in .35 Remington. It is well worn and came with a familiar saddle scabbard

Its old....I'm 55 and it belonged to my Grandfather, and I recall seeing it in his hillbilly cabin when I was a young lad...so, it is old, as am I :D

I would, however, like to find out how old; it could be as young as 60 years, as old as 100....lots of family stories abound, some of them plausible, some less so....it is entirely possible that this was issued to my grandfather when he joined the Rocky Mountain Rangers while living in a really remote area of British Columbia...another story that sounds cool, but without a lot to back it up, was that this came with a 'deputized' position with either the Northwest Mounted Police or the Royal Northwest Mounted Police....not sure the dates match up on either of the latter....it is even very possible that he brought it up with him from the United States...back in the 1920s there was not a lot of worry about firearms crossing the border :-)

In any case....how does one seek out the manufacture date and history? Complicating this is the fact that it doesn't appear to have a serial number. /it does say 'micro groove' and has a notched forestock...

Can anyone point me in the right direction to find out?

Thanks all, any help at all would be welcomed

Bruce

I
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin 336 R.C.

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

MedicCop;

The serial number will determine when it was made. It should be located under the lever. If not, remove the butt stock and look at the side of the receiver tangs.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Prairie Buck
Beginner

Post by Prairie Buck »

I to have Marlin 336 R.C. with Micro-Groove barrel. Mine is in .30-30. The S 473x serial number is on the bottom tang above the lever and puts it as 1958 vintage.
Prairie Buck
Beginner

Post by Prairie Buck »

OOPS, grabbed the wrong info on previous post. That was for my 336-A. My 336-RC is in .30-30, it is not Micro-Groove, the K 1027x serial number is from 1952. It is a carbine with full length mag tube. The serial number is on the bottom tag above the lever.