Marlin 93?

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

goesbang
Beginner

Marlin 93?

Post by goesbang »

What do I have here? It's a 93 in 38-55 but everything looks like special order from the sights to the stock, barre, finish, butt plate .
Any help would be greatly appreciated . Thanks for your time... Newbie.
barrel goes from oct to round 7'' from the muzzle and the front sight sits 1'' back from the muzzle the mag tube is even with the oct portion the tube extends 3 1/2'' from the face of the forearm . the 2 leaf sight is 13 3/4'' back from the muzzel overall barrel length is 19 3/8'' receiver is nickle?rear stock is 13 1/4'' . has sling swivels on mag tube and the rear sight is a peep blade combo that is marked marlin june 30 1903. I have photos but can't figure how to post them.
Any Ideas ?
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin 93?

Post by marlinman93 »

Sounds like it might be a cut down barrel, as the 19 3/4" is an odd length, and 7" round section is also not correct. Pictures would help, and if you post the serial number Regnier may be able to tell you how the gun left the factory originally.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
goesbang
Beginner

Post by goesbang »

serial #319989
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Goesbang;

Factory records show serial number 319989 as follows:

Model 1893 .38-55 caliber 26 inch half octagon barrel half magazine Shipped in mid-1905

So, it would appear that your barrel has been shortened. The rear sight is a Marlin-Hepburn receiver sight and very collectable. All Marlins made after August of 1903 were drilled and tapped for this sight.
There are instructions for posting pictures in the "No Longer Guest Questions" section of this site. Go to a post titled "Old Marlin in New Zealand" and find the instructions posted by Road King on how to post pictures.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
TGraham33
Beginner

Post by TGraham33 »

I just picked up a beautiful Model 1893 Take Down 30-30, Serial No. 322574 , can you help me determine what year it was made, shipped?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

TGraham33;

The record for that serial number is blank, but for the numbers filled in around that number show to have been shipped in late 1905.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.