Marlin 1893

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

pmpickett2
Beginner

Marlin 1893

Post by pmpickett2 »

Hi, I have a Marlin 1893 with some interesting features. The barrel is 23.5 inches, caliber 24.36m, has a pistol grip instead of a strait stock. steel butt plate, It has a field sight, and half octagon half round barrel. The action is tight, very little to no pitting, decent rifling for a hundred year plus rifle. I have pictures but they are too big to upload. I took detailed pictures to show gun condition as I want to assess a value. I am willing to friend somone on facebook messenger to show pictures if anyone is able to give a ballpark value estimate. I looked online and I cannot find any info on 24.36 marlin brass or bullets. I heard common calibers are usually valued at about 500 to 750 bucks and rarer caliber and options are higher. any info will help greatly.
miker557
Beginner

Re: Marlin 1893

Post by miker557 »

According to Cartridges of the World, the 25-36 Marlin (and 25-37 Marlin) are slightly longer versions of the 25-35 Winchester cartridge. The Winchester cartridge can fit into the slightly longer Marlin chamber, but most loads generate more pressure than the Marlin action was designed to handle (being the older, black powder action). They recommend loads be limited to about 20,000 p.s.i.

Miker