What rifle is this

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Brent
Sharpshooter

What rifle is this

Post by Brent »

This may not be appropriate for this forum, as the rifle may not be a Marlin, but then again, it sort of does look like a Marlin. The forearm is really short, the lever meets the receiver with a hint of the "Marlin lump", there is no sign of a squared off rear on the lever, nor a lever catch. The receiver looks large (rifle caliber?), and it appears to be a top eject.

The dead guys are part of the Dalton Gang. Interestingly, they seem to have died without their boots and their hands cuffed. But the rifle is the curious thing to me.

Any guesses? Anyone actually know?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: What rifle is this

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Brent;

It was October 5, 1892 when Bob, Grat and Emmett Dalton along with Bill Powers and Dick Broadwell rode into Coffeeville, Kansas to attempt to rob two banks at the same time. Emmett Dalton was the only survivor of the group after the townsfolk, led by the city Marshall, Charles T. Connelly chased them into an alley where a shootout ensued. Emmett survived his wounds and was tried and sentenced to a life in prison for the failed attempt. He was released after 14 years and retired from the life of crime and died in 1937.
The rifle is a Winchester Model 1886. The forearm does appear to be extremely short for that model so it may have been gunsmith modified for some reason.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Brent
Sharpshooter

Re: What rifle is this

Post by Brent »

Thanks for the reply. An 86 was my first thought but it wasn't quite right somehow. That short fore end really throws me, but the lever bothered me too. I'm just not that familiar with Winchester lever guns however.

Interesting that they are all cuffed and bootless while dead. I wonder what that story is, and if the rifle was used by one of them, or used to shoot them? Curious picture.