1895 .33 WCF

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

pgidley
Beginner

1895 .33 WCF

Post by pgidley »

Hey Marlin folks

You may have seen my post on the other Marlin forum about an 1895 45-70 I had come across. Long story short, I was looking at a shotgun this fellow had for sale, he had some lever guns. I took a quick glance but didn't give any much second thought as the owner said they were all newer guns.

Anyways, this supposed 45-70 kinda caught my eye, as it was a bit interesting, so I posted a few pics and it quickly became clear that it wasn't a recent gun, and that it was quite a bit older. So, I set to the task of tracking the owner down....a tough task. Finally today I met up with him, and turns out this isn't a 45-70 at all, but a .33 WCF!

So it appears to be about 1913, from what I can find on the serial number. If it were 45-70, I had intended to keep this gun, but given I'm more of a hunter than a collector (I hunt with a 1953 Marlin 336 in .35 Rem, with a Lyman receiver sight), I may sell this gun. I'm located in Canada, so prices will be variable from the US, but I'd be welcome to ballpark ideas of what I should ask. I couldn't find any others for sale online.

The bore is very good, lots of rifling. Condition is fair, I think it may have been varnished, and the butt plate is broken, but otherwise the finish is quite good.

Oh, and I paid $300 for the gun! :D

Pictures are located here http://imgur.com/a/SO0Mb
Brent
Sharpshooter

Re: 1895 .33 WCF

Post by Brent »

I am no authority, but for reference. I paid about $500 for a signficantly bubba'ed 95 action of the same vintage. Just the action, which required welding and replacing some springs.

I'm sure you have $1200 or more in value there. Maybe even double. 95s don't grow on trees. (REAL 95's)
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Looking at the pictures, I would agree that it's probably around a $1200 gun US dollars. The .33 WCF is the least desirable caliber, but it's still an 1895, and they are all desirable to some degree. Stripping the varnish properly, and a proper finish done (without removing wood material or over sanding the wood!) would increase the value a bit, if you want to maximize returns. Not sure you'd get it more than a few hundred more, but I'd do it if I was selling the gun.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
pgidley
Beginner

Post by pgidley »

Wow that's great to hear. I'll clean the gun up and see if I can carefully bring it back to original finish, more for my own enjoyment than financial returns, but it sure is nice to know it's worth a bit more than I paid. Not sure how the market compares up here in Canada.

I've always been a Marlin fan, my very first gun was a Marlin bolt action 22, followed by a 39a, both of which I still have. This 1895 will make a nice companion to my waffle top 35 rem.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

I use chemical stripper to remove unwanted finish. I try not to sand, but if sanding I keep away from the edges where wood meets metal. I really like Minn Wax Wipe On Poly satin, as it duplicates the look of the original finish so well, and can be spot repaired if the stock ever gets a ding later.
An early 1895 Marlin is something most Marlin collectors have high on their wish list, and may never get. Considering how few were made, you were lucky to get one, and extremely lucky to get it so cheap!
pgidley
Beginner

Post by pgidley »

Yea I always stay away from sanding if possible, don't want to remove any wood if possible. I've got some heavy duty strippers, nasty stuff. I'll start really mild, I think the finish is some kind of shellac, so lacquer thinner should loosen it up.

Any tips for disassembly? Proper sized driver bits, rear stock is just the one through screw same as a 336? And then forestock is just the cap screw? Disassembly always makes me the most nervous...
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Marlin lever actions wont need anything more than a good fitting screwdriver to break them down for stock refinishing, or most cleaning. You would need a set of pin punches, should you decide to strip the breech bolt, as the various extractor, firing pin halves will need the pins driven out to disassemble it.
Simply pull the stock screw out to remove the buttstock. To disassemble the forearm you need to pull the two forearm screws and slide the cap forward an inch or so. Remove the single screw from the end of the tube, and pull down on the tube and forearm, but be careful to keep a finger over the end of the tube to retain the tube plug. Then slide the whole assembled tube and forearm wood off, and once on the bench you can slip the wood off the rear. Leave the rest assembled if you don't need to clean it. Be careful not to lose the follower off the spring, as it's just slipped over the spring, and not held in place.
Road King
Expert

Post by Road King »

Looks like a pretty good 95. I am originally from New Brunswick and there were a lot of 1895 Marlins in .33 CF in that Provence. Where are you located in Canada? I have a few 1895s including one in .33 CF.
Road King
" More guns then I need, but not as many as I want."
pgidley
Beginner

Post by pgidley »

Hey, I'm in Thunder Bay, Ontario but I think this gun may have come through New Brunswick at some point, as the previous owners Grandfather was from there.

I'd love to find an old square-bolt in 45-70. If you ever come across one or want to part with anything like that, shoot me a message.