Marlin Safety stamping on vintage model '94's.

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

smithywess
Pro-Marksman

Marlin Safety stamping on vintage model '94's.

Post by smithywess »

I wonder if an expert could inform me whether they have ever seen a Model '94 without the 'Marlin Safety' stamping on top of the receiver ahead of the two factory drilled screw holes for the Hepburn sight. I have seen two, one in a .25-20 ( takedown) and another in a .44-40 in the serial number range 381xxx. Secondly did the factory ever nickel their receivers in the Model '94 ? Thanks.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin Safety stamping on vintage model '94's.

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Smithywess;

That would be a yes to both questions. The receiver of the Model '94 was too short to stamp the receiver with the "Marlin Safety" marking when the receiver was drilled and tapped for the Marlin-Hepburn sight. On the Models 1893 and 1895, that marking was moved forward so that when the sight was installed, the sight would not cover the marking. See page 216 of the Brophy book to see one.
By nickel, you mean nickel plate? If so, it was a special order item, but it was done. Brophy shows a nickel plated carbine on page 215. There are a number of nickel plated carbines listed in the records.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
smithywess
Pro-Marksman

Post by smithywess »

Thank you very much indeed Regnier for the prompt reply. I wanted to be sure that someone hadn't 'monkeyed' with the top of the receiver in a refinishing attempt. Hence also the question about the nickel application. Thank you.
Wishbone
Marksman 1st Class

Post by Wishbone »

I would advise you to move very cautiously on that nickel receiver. I have seen many, many old Marlin lever actions that appear to be nickel plated, that simply aren't. For whatever reason, when originally cased receivers lose their case coloring, they turn silver - so shiny silver that it will appear that it is nickel plated. I have had people guarantee me that "this is a nickel plated receiver", only to have Regnier inform me after requesting, that the factory records indicate it left the factory with a cased receiver. Very often, if you watch online auctions, Marlins are listed as nickeled receivers, which of coarse, they are not. Now I suppose the possibility exists that the receiver was nickel plated sometime after the rifle left the factory, but I think it is more common that is just a shiny silver cased receiver. I would use the services offered to the MFCA members, and see what the records say about a nickeled receiver before I put out any cash for a nickel plated Marlin.

WB
MARLIN - THE GUN FOR THE MAN WHO KNOWS
smithywess
Pro-Marksman

Post by smithywess »

Thanks WB. I think the two I'm looking at are simply very bright silver looking receivers. The result of worn case colouring. Your caveat is well taken.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

I also had a 1894 carbine built in the first weeks of production that of course didn't have the Hepburn sight holes, but also didn't have "Marlin Safety" on top of the receiver. It was built using an 1889 receiver and barrel, but 1889's had the Marlin Safety stamped on them. Unsure why this gun didn't get the stamp?
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!