Marlin 1881 40 cal .45-70 chambered

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

kerncountyemt
Beginner

Marlin 1881 40 cal .45-70 chambered

Post by kerncountyemt »

Hi there, I've got a Marlin 1881 40 cal .45-70 (chambered), 28" octagonal barrel, serial # 113xx, and when I cock it the hammer comes back but doesn't stay back, any suggestions as to the problem? Also I'm confused about the calibur, it's stamped 40 cal on it but I was told it was a .45-70 chambered, so is it a 40 or 45 cal? Also what does chambered mean? Thanks in advance
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin 1881 40 cal .45-70 chambered

Post by marlinman93 »

Chances are if it accepts a .45-70 cartridge, and it's marked .40 Cal., it's been rebored and rechambered for the .45-70 cartridge. "Chambered" means the chamber was reamed out, but that can't be all as it needs boring larger too for the .457" bore diameter.
If the hammer doesn't stay back, then it's either got a bad hammer notch for full cock, or something broken on the trigger maybe. Need to remove the buttstock, and you may be able to see into the hammer/trigger area and see if it's catching the notch.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
kerncountyemt
Beginner

Post by kerncountyemt »

Thanks for the info, it's been in our family for many years, my grandfather was the last one to shoot it a that was in the 50's or 60's, been sitting broken in my dad's gun safe since, he just bequeathed it to me (along with a .30-40 Krag), so I was pondering getting it repaired.
Brent
Sharpshooter

Post by Brent »

Here is a quick experiment.

The hypothesis to test is that the trigger return spring is broken.

To test this, push the trigger forward with your thumb on one hand, and with the other thumb, cock the hammer back.

Now, let the hammer come forward but keep the thumb pushing on the back of the trigger. If the trigger engages and then fires the hammer normally when pulled normally, the trigger return spring needs to be replaced (easy and cheap).

If not, then you likely have damage to the hammer or the trigger sear engagements. To know for sure, you need to pull the stock and then the trigger group. I'm not sure how the 81 works but for the 93, 94, and 95 trigger groups are very easy to pull and manipulate with the hammer in place and get them tuned up. One of the many marvels of the Marlin that no one appreciates.

There is a chance you have a bunch of gunk on the hammer sear engagement notch that just needs to be cleaned out, but I sort of doubt it.

Use good, well fitted screwdrivers and take your time. If screws are stuck, soak with Kroil or similar.

Let us know how it goes. I would like such a rifle one day.

Here is a picture of a Marlin 93 or 94 trigger group. It is at full cock and you can see the trigger and hammer are engaged in the sear notch.

kerncountyemt
Beginner

Post by kerncountyemt »

Well done sir!! You were right, the trigger return spring is broken per your hypothesis. Those step by step instructions you provided were spot on!! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. I'll keep you informed, if your ever in Kern County then dinner's on me.
Brent
Sharpshooter

Post by Brent »

I'd love to take you up on that, but which Kern County? Here in Iowa?

The spring is probably very similar to what is in the 93s and 94s. If so, you can make one easily, if you can't find one. The factory springs are overly stiff and I thin them almost by half to improve trigger pull. Every pound of pull on them is directly added to the trigger pull when you try to make a shot.

This is an original spring

Here is the same one after being thinned and cleaned up. MUCH better.

kerncountyemt
Beginner

Post by kerncountyemt »

I'm in the San Joaquin Valley, California..
Thanks for the help!!!
Brent
Sharpshooter

Post by Brent »

Bummer, I would have driven to Kern Co. Iowa for a free meal ) :)

Have fun with your rifle. Marlin lever guns are the apex of the multi-shooter rifle!

Brent
kerncountyemt
Beginner

Post by kerncountyemt »

I'll meet you half way hahahaha
Brent
Sharpshooter

Post by Brent »

Come to Raton New Mexico in early July. It's close enough to half way. Bring the Marlin and shoot the Lever Action Silhouette Nationals. I'll be there! It's a great time, lots of good people, cool old guns (esp. Marlins). In fact,, if you, I'll buy you dinner - or at least I'll make it. My shooting partner eat well in the campground. pheasant, wild turkey, pronghorn antelope, squirrel, whitetail, you name it is on the menu. Just say the word.

Brent
kerncountyemt
Beginner

Post by kerncountyemt »

They sound like a lot of fun!
Do you know if any other Marlin models use the same trigger spring as the 1881? I'm browsing the internet and find trigger spring on other models
Brent
Sharpshooter

Post by Brent »

I can't help you there. I know the 90 series, but not the 80s series. Someone else will come along and help though.