1893 30-30 src. age help.

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

jbc45lc
Beginner

1893 30-30 src. age help.

Post by jbc45lc »

Hello, I purchased a model 93 30-30 src today, it has 4 digit(699x) under lever behind trigger, top tang states model 93, barrel is marked The New Marlin corporation, New Haven Conn. an left of barrel below adjustable site it states Special smokeless steel and next to receiver it shows 30-30. my gun values book explains because of financial issues, marlin markings changed from company to corp. I believe in 1915. also it states that some left over receivers were used to depletion and serials numbers were reset when they went to a corporation. any help with dating this rifle is appreciated. Thank you, John
jbc45lc
Beginner

Re: 1893 30-30 src. age help.

Post by jbc45lc »

Me again, just read on a bunch of other posts. Seducing its a 22' or 23' production. Next question on the saddle ring.I Looked up some imiges last night. I found different styles and was wondering if Marlins used the barbed wire staple looking mount or the currently reproduced single post loop mount. I'm thinking mine is aftermarket. Thanks for a place to get such valuable information. Looking into books now as I'm a sucker for marlin lever guns. I'm considering starting with the Marlin and Balled book. Any advice. Thanks in advance, John
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Jbc45lc;

You are pretty close on the date of your Marlin Model '93 carbine.
Marlin did use a two hole style staple to retain the saddle ring. If your ring is mounted with a single hole style staple, then it is not original.
The Marlin Firearms Corporation started in 1921 and ran to 1924. But, the new Marlin Firearms Company that started again in 1924 used Corporation marked barrels for a while.
If you are looking for a good Marlin book, then you want the one by William S. Brophy, titled Marlin Firearms, A History of the Guns and the Company that made them.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
jbc45lc
Beginner

Post by jbc45lc »

Thank you sir. That book is next .