1893 Mag End Cap

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

rebcussion
Beginner

1893 Mag End Cap

Post by rebcussion »

Hi All,

First post about my first Marlin. I picked up an 1893 made in 1901 in 25-36 at a recent auction. No one bid on the poor girl so I impulsively put up my hand and got it for half low estimate. I wasn't sure if no one bid because of the caliber or because it had problems. I'm still not sure about the caliber slowing down the hands but I have found two problems. No ejector and a missing or broken firing pin spring. I see Gun Parts has these items so I plan on buying those plus some screws and the two pins for the bolt.

I had no major problems disassembling the rifle although a few screw heads show wear and required slow going. But I am having a problem removing the magazine end cap. I would like to replace the mag tube spring. The screw came out easily, but the cap won't budge. Other than soaking the mag tube internals and end cap in Kroil does anyone have a clever method of getting the end cap off the mag.

Thanks
smithywess
Pro-Marksman

Re: 1893 Mag End Cap

Post by smithywess »

Rebcussion,

Once the screw has been removed the mag. tube pulls off the stud in a downwards direction. i.e. pull it downwards.
rebcussion
Beginner

Post by rebcussion »

Smithywess,

Being a complete novice on Marlin lever guns I have two questions.

Does the forearm wood have to be removed prior to pulling the mag tube off. I ask because the forearm does not come off with moderate pressure down and forward and I really don't want to push it any harder.

What is gained by removing the mag tube other than better access to the end cap?

Thanks
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Rebcussion;

To remove the magazine tube, you have to take the 2 screws that hold the forearm cap out, then slide the forearm cap forward. Remove the magazine tube stud screw, and while pulling downward slightly on the end of the magazine tube, slide the forearm forward to clear the forearm cap tennon. This will allow you to pull the forearm off and the magazine tube completely off.
The magazine tube plug (tube end) on older Marlins were soft soldered in place, so they were not made to be removed. If you think the magazine tube itself needs to be cleaned, just use a slightly larger brass brush and swab out the inside of the tube a few times to loosen anything and then run a shotgun swab down to clean it further.
Good luck........
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
rebcussion
Beginner

Post by rebcussion »

Regnier,

Ok, thanks. I'm more familiar with Winchesters and figured the end cap would come off the 1893 like it does on Winchesters. I had planned to replace the mag tube spring while I had it apart to put a new ejector and firing pin spring in and do general cleaning and lubrication, but I think I'll just leave the original spring in place and see how well it works once I completed the other repairs.