Refinished marlin 1894?

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

branchbreak2
Beginner

Refinished marlin 1894?

Post by branchbreak2 »

Hello,

I'm was thinking about buying this marlin but it looks refinished to me. The seller states it was made in 1895 and everything matches the cody firearms records for it. He also says it is original. What do yall think?

http://imgur.com/a/OW0UX
Brent
Sharpshooter

Re: Refinished marlin 1894?

Post by Brent »

Looks like a beauty to me. I'd buy it if bore is as nice as the rest of it and the price was right.

24" barrel, presume. What caliber?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Branchbreak2;

From what I see in the photo, that finish looks to be original on the wood and metal.
Good luck with the purchase.........
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
branchbreak2
Beginner

Post by branchbreak2 »

Brent wrote:Looks like a beauty to me. I'd buy it if bore is as nice as the rest of it and the price was right.

24" barrel, presume. What caliber?
Yeah, it has a 24" barrel and it's caliber .38-40. I will have to check on the bore.

They want $560 for it.
Regnier (gunrunner) wrote:Branchbreak2;

From what I see in the photo, that finish looks to be original on the wood and metal.
Good luck with the purchase.........
thank you :)
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Branchbreak2;

BARGAIN!!!! Buy it twice, maybe even three times to be fair. Are you sure that there isn't another number in front of that $560.00? There should be.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Brent
Sharpshooter

Post by Brent »

Yeah, if there were a 2 in front of that 560, I would not be surprised. If you don't buy it, I want it!!!! Screaming good deal.
branchbreak2
Beginner

Post by branchbreak2 »

Regnier (gunrunner) wrote:Branchbreak2;

BARGAIN!!!! Buy it twice, maybe even three times to be fair. Are you sure that there isn't another number in front of that $560.00? There should be.
haha, I was a little surprised at the price. That's one of the reasons why I was questioning the case hardening/blue. Sounds like I got lucky with this one for sure.

So I think I'm buying it...pending a couple unanswered questions. Thank you both for the help.
jorgy
Marksman 1st Class

Post by jorgy »

Are you sure the seller is not running a scam? Unless I am mistaken the same gun was on gunbroker.com. I had it on my watch list. I do not remember what it sold for but it was a goodly sum. The this weekend I seen the same gun same pictures on armslist.com
advertised for the same price you were saying in your posts. I responded to the seller he was running a scam & he never got back to me. Please be very very cautious when dealing with this person. I do not mean to throw a wet blanket on your deal just giving you a warning.
jorgy
Marksman 1st Class

Post by jorgy »

If you go to gunbroker.com & type in the auction number 574696252 & look at the pics you will what I mean. That gun sold for $4136.00 on 8-15-16. Those are the exact same pics as seen in your first post.
branchbreak2
Beginner

Post by branchbreak2 »

jorgy wrote:If you go to gunbroker.com & type in the auction number 574696252 & look at the pics you will what I mean. That gun sold for $4136.00 on 8-15-16. Those are the exact same pics as seen in your first post.
You might be right jorgy. I messaged him earlier, asking about a picture of the gun with piece of paper next to it that has his email on it, and he has not messaged back.

Def a scam. He is so urgent to ask for my shipping info and his reason why he is selling it makes no sense. So many scammers out. I have even seen fake serial numbers stamped into guns to make them look pre 1899.

Glad I did not send him any money....
:(
Brent
Sharpshooter

Post by Brent »

Dang! Too good to be true. I have seen that before and have caught one guy at it with a nice double barrel set for an English best rifle. But I fell for this one; good eyes guys..
branchbreak2
Beginner

Post by branchbreak2 »

Brent wrote:Dang! Too good to be true. I have seen that before and have caught one guy at it with a nice double barrel set for an English best rifle. But I fell for this one; good eyes guys..
Yes, very much too good to be true. I actually learned to be very careful recently after getting scammed on gun broker. +100 feedback so I thought I would be safe... He even had the nerve to leave me negative feedback after sending me a fake that cody firearms museum verified as not existing.

Here is another scammer
http://www.armslist.com/posts/5984353/v ... g-rifling-

He rearranged the same text from a gun broker listing
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/579594280

I sent him an email asking if he wants to meet up haha.
Wishbone
Marksman 1st Class

Post by Wishbone »

Good eyes on that one Jorgy. You just saved at least one guy from a whole lot heartache and troubles.

WB
MARLIN - THE GUN FOR THE MAN WHO KNOWS
Brent
Sharpshooter

Post by Brent »

Since this is a for-sure fraud, it would sure be nice if the perp could be run to ground and made to pay. Seems that all that happens is they get their accounts closed, only to come back as another personality doing the same thing. I wish we could get some law enforcement on such people. I didn't even know who to contact when I found one of these.

If it is too good to be true, it is.
branchbreak2
Beginner

Post by branchbreak2 »

Brent wrote:Since this is a for-sure fraud, it would sure be nice if the perp could be run to ground and made to pay. Seems that all that happens is they get their accounts closed, only to come back as another personality doing the same thing. I wish we could get some law enforcement on such people. I didn't even know who to contact when I found one of these.

If it is too good to be true, it is.
Yeah I'm not sure who would need to be contacted either.

This is the response I got after asking to meet up

Oh,I need to be sincere with you Okay, I worked in VA but live in TN where the Rifle is,The Company are now on Break for now... But if you don't mind i will Ship the rifle Across to you...I will bear the shipping and Insurance fees.
Thanks.