Marlin Model 1889

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

ssg_davis
Beginner

Marlin Model 1889

Post by ssg_davis »

I have just purchased a Marlin 1889 in 32-20. (manufactured in 1889 sn 28220) Cycles well, shoots good, rifling about 7/10. Possibly needs an ejector spring (Any Leads on those would be appreciated :D ) My question is it configuration. It has a factory engraved name, "E G Robinson" in script on the left side of the receiver. It also has a 22" octagon barrel and a 3/4 mag. was this a possible factory option at that time. The gun has a repair the finger lever ( forge welded). But upon looking at the barrel if it was shortened it was either done by the factory, or one *beep* of a gunsmith because the work is first rate and machine done (barrel and dovetails). Any info would be appreciated. Dovetail measurement's, etc. I plan to restore this rifle to hunt small game with and shoot. But want in to be configured the way it was when it left the factory in 1889.
Brent
Sharpshooter

Re: Marlin Model 1889

Post by Brent »

ssg_davis wrote:I have just purchased a Marlin 1889 in 32-20. (manufactured in 1889 sn 28220) Cycles well, shoots good, rifling about 7/10. Possibly needs an ejector spring (Any Leads on those would be appreciated :D ) My question is it configuration. It has a factory engraved name, "E G Robinson" in script on the left side of the receiver. It also has a 22" octagon barrel and a 3/4 mag. was this a possible factory option at that time. The gun has a repair the finger lever ( forge welded). But upon looking at the barrel if it was shortened it was either done by the factory, or one *beep* of a gunsmith because the work is first rate and machine done (barrel and dovetails). Any info would be appreciated. Dovetail measurement's, etc. I plan to restore this rifle to hunt small game with and shoot. But want in to be configured the way it was when it left the factory in 1889.
Ejectors can often be found on ebay and gunbroker.

Can't help with the rest however. I don't know if ejectors from other models of Marlins would work in an 89, but many parts in the 1893, 1894, 1895 series are interchangable. Perhaps the same is true for the 80 series.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Ssg_Davis;

Serial number 28220 shows in the old factory records as a Model 1889 in .32-20 caliber, shipped in late 1889 with a 28 inch octagon barrel. No mention of the magazine tube, so that would indicate it had a full length magazine tube as well.
As to the parts you seek, try Wisner's ( www.wisnersinc.com ) They make many new parts for the old guns.
I would have to see a photo of the inscription to determine if it was applied at the factory. Their engravers used a pretty specific style of script on the inscriptions.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
ssg_davis
Beginner

Post by ssg_davis »

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/585232000/ ... 264573.jpg

Gunrunner,

Thank you for the information. I have pasted the url to the picture of the script. I have found a new ejector at Wisners. It is a two piece says it replaces the old style. So I hope it works. Do you have any leads on good manufacturers of new 32-20 barrels? Or an original that I can have a liner put in?

Thanks

ssg_davis
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Ssg_Davis;

The inscription does look like it may have been applied at the factory. The script looks like other inscriptions I have seen.
The is a place that can make you a new barrel and apply the correct barrel markings. I will have to do some checking around to get the name of the company.

ssg_davis
Beginner

Post by ssg_davis »

Reg,

Any luck on the barrel maker. I have since fired the rifle and it shoots pretty D*** accurate! The barrel is frosted but rifling is strong. I am thinking of replacing all worn. inoperable parts, putting a full mag on it again and restoring it in the "short rifle" configuration it was altered too so long ago. From the looks of the repares I believe the rifle was involved in a very bad "accident" at one time and the alterations to it were done to make it functional again, like many rifles from that era.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

I have had John Taylor restore two cut down barrels for me, and the work was perfect! Undetectable by anyone who has looked at the guns, and when he's done lengthening them he installs a new liner to bring the bores back to better than new condition!
The nice part about lengthening a barrel is you retain all the original markings and serial number. The new TJ's hammer forged liners are stronger than the original soft steel barrel, and very accurate. I'd never have a new barrel made and go through chambering and replacing rollstamps again. It's better and cheaper to have John lengthen them.

http://www.johntaylormachine.com/
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Ssg_davis;

The company that did the barrel work has gone out of business. Vall, (marlinman93) is correct in that repairing the current barrel may be easier than a new barrel to look original. New barrels can be bought from Badger or Brownells and then have them engraved with the proper markings if you want a new barrel.