Old Marlin still working hard

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Brent
Sharpshooter

Old Marlin still working hard

Post by Brent »

Just a picture from yesterday, somewhere in the Ereh (sp?) Basin in Wyoming. Not a big buck but after 4.5 days of hunting and glassing many bucks, time was running out.

Anyway, this little rifle greatly out does my Ballard Pacific when it comes to being carried all over hill and dale and still bring home the bacon (or pronghorn in this case).

marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Old Marlin still working hard

Post by marlinman93 »

That's pretty cool! What caliber? How close did that buck let you get? Interesting lever screw!
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Brent
Sharpshooter

Post by Brent »

Good eye on that screw. :D I got it off of ebay. it turns a Marlon into a no-tools-needed field rifle that can easily be cleaned from the breech. I use this rifle at the silhouette nationals where I shoot blackpowder and this screw is a nice convenience. I used black for this too. the original screw is under the butt plate.

Shot was about 165 yds. I had him at half that distance for a moment, but a doe was behind him, so I held the shot.

the rifle wad a 32 Win Special. but I had it rebored to .38-55 to keep her ahooting.

Anteloping is ridiculously fun, with tasty rewards too!
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Yes, antelope are fun and great eating! It's been over 30 years since I had the opportunity to shoot any though! We have them here in Oregon, but rare to draw a tag for a good unit. I gave up trying years ago!
Brent
Sharpshooter

Post by Brent »

That would explain the Oregon tags I saw on a few trucks out there. You should go!
Brent
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Yes, I also did my hunt in Wyoming, as over the counter tags were easy to purchase then, and one could buy another tag after filling the first. So we were lucky, and filled two tags each back then! If I do another antelope hunt, it would be in Wyoming or Colorado. I could give Oregon money for applications for years, and maybe never get a tag.