336 .35 Rem Model Quandary RC? CT? Texan?

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

LoudTuba
Beginner

336 .35 Rem Model Quandary RC? CT? Texan?

Post by LoudTuba »

Hello,

I’m looking for some help in identifying a model variation of the 336. Ultimately, I will be looking to sell this rifle, but first I want to make sure that I know what I have.

From reading the forum, I think this is a Model 336 Texan in .35 Remington from 1953 ... but I am confused by barrel markings versus the box and hang tag information. The barrel is clearly marked
“The Marlin Firearms Co. - EST. 1870
NEW HAVEN, CONN. U.S.A. – MODEL 336 R.C. – CAL.35 REM.”
It has a straight stock, which I understand makes it a “Texan”. But I also have what I believe to be the original box and hang tag, both of which call it a “Model 336-.35 CT”.

The serial number starts with “K”, so it’s 1953 manufacture. I’ve seen R.C. as “Regular Carbine”. Is CT “Carbine Texan”? “Connecticut”? “Confounding Terminology”?

Here are a bunch of pics:
http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/Newpo ... sort=3&o=0
(Sorry, no hyperlink; couldn't figure out how to make it clickable.)

This was my Dad’s deer rifle, but he stopped hunting when he thought that the northern Michigan woods got too crazy back around 1960. I’m very certain that it hasn’t been fired since. My local gun shop took at look and said it was in “very good plus” condition, also calling it “85-90%”. There is some light wear to the bluing at the edges and a few very light scratches on the stock and forearm. There’s one small chip on the edge of the butt plate, and it’s missing the sliding notch part of the rear sight. I’ve also got the box plus the hang tag. When I sell, it will also include a vintage 20 round box of Western Super X 200 Grain Silvertip cartridges plus an equally vintage Marble’s Jointed Rifle Cleaning Rod still in its original cloth bag.

I would appreciate any thoughts on the model question.

Any idea on what a fair selling price would be? The guy at the local shop suggested the whole package would be around $325, but a friend (who considers himself a firearms expert) suggested over $500. I didn’t see much on Gunbroker or other sites that seems to match this model and caliber.

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge!

Pete
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: 336 .35 Rem Model Quandary RC? CT? Texan?

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Pete;

Your Marlin Model 336 is definitely the "Texan" version.
The "CT" in both instances (box and hang tag) follow the number 35, which leads me to believe the "CT" has something to do with the caliber of your Texan carbine and not the model designation. I cannot say I have ever seen this before and there really in nothing in the Brophy book that mentions it.
Your rifle looks better than the 85 to 90% the gunsmith mentioned. It is a very nice gun for a gun made in 1953. Your Texan has the earlier Ballard style rifling, which to some collectors is a plus. With box, hang tag, Ballard rifling and overall condition, you would not be out of line in the $500.00 range. You can always go down, but you cannot go up.
Frankly, since this is a family piece, I would check with other family members (brother, cousin, etc.) first before selling to see if anyone would like to keep it in the family.
Good luck.........
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
LoudTuba
Beginner

Re: 336 .35 Rem Model Quandary RC? CT? Texan?

Post by LoudTuba »

Thank you for your quick confirmation on the model. I had read through your extensive sticky thread on the 336 Texan and was pretty sure that was it. But there was just enough lingering doubt to ask the question.

While it would be nice to keep it in the family, there really is no one for whom it would be appropriate. I've hung on to it for my than a decade since my Dad passed and have finally decided that I should sell it to someone who will appreciate it.

Thanks again,

Pete