Marlin 1881 30" barrel numbers

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

kadillackelley
Beginner

Marlin 1881 30" barrel numbers

Post by kadillackelley »

I just recently purchased an 1881 45-70 with a 30" barrel, set triggers and crescent buttplate serial #13103. Can you tell me if there is a factory letter available for this rifle? I know in the brophy book it states that there were 780 made with 30" barrels. Is there info on how many were made in 45-70? Did they make the 32-40 and 38-55 guns with 30" barrels? Were they heavy barrels also? Thanks!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin 1881 30" barrel numbers

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Kadilliackelley;

Yes, the records for serial number 13103 do confirm the configuration of your Marlin Model 1881 except for the crescent butt plate. There is no mention of the butt plate in this case. The gun was shipped in mid-1886.
The records for the Model 1881 were broken down by Bill Brophy's secretary and not Bill himself. Her "job" was to record the number of different barrel lengths, calibers, and other options. She did not break the numbers down into specific areas such as how many 30 inch barrel guns were in what calibers. The only way to get to those numbers is to do another breakdown of the serial numbers with specifics defined.
Yes, there were small frame Model 1881's made with 30 inch barrels, but not that many overall. And yes, there are heavy barrel small frame Model 1881's, and not just barrels of extra length like we see on the large frame guns. All extra length barreled large frame guns had an extra heavy barrel. I have never seen a large frame gun with a 28 inch barrel or shorter with a factory heavy barrel.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
kadillackelley
Beginner

Re: Marlin 1881 30" barrel numbers

Post by kadillackelley »

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to post some pics. These 81's sure have a lot of mysteries!