Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

roundtree
Beginner

1888 Marlin screw removal?

Post by roundtree »

Hello the Fire,
I have a 1888 Marlin in 44W.C.F..
I need to get the screws out of this rifle so I can clean and reassemble. I have gotten 3 screws to come loose,(I've soaked it, used Kroil on it and still can't get the rest of the screws to break loose) Any ideas?
Any help will GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks, roundtree

8) 8) 8)
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: 1888 Marlin screw removal?

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Roundtree;

Depending upon the overall condition of the gun, there are a couple of things you may consider trying. Since you have soaked the screws, get a good fitting screwdriver the fits the slot of the screw. Put the screwdriver in the slot and tap the screwdriver handle with a hammer a few times. It may even take a few good raps while putting a little pressure on the screwdriver turning it to unscrew the screw (this acts like an impact without actually having to buy an impact driver).
Or, if the gun is average condition, consider taking a soldering iron and heating the head of the screw. Sometimes, this will expand the screw enough that when it cools back down, it will break rust loose and allow the screw to turn.
Good luck.....
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: 1888 Marlin screw removal?

Post by marlinman93 »

I have several Chapman and Brownells screwdriver kits with interchangeable tips. I find a tip that fits the slot well, and give it a few good taps while holding it in the slot. Then put the handle on and they often turn. In some severely stuck screws I use my drill press and the same tips. I do the tapping thing, and then putting downward pressure with the drill press, I put a shaft in the chuck key hole, and turn the chuck. That usually works even on very tough screws.
If neither works, it's time to carefully drill them out. I drill them out using my left hand twist drill bits, as they often unscrew as I gradually drill the holes larger. I start as small as I can, and work up.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!