Model 1893 - Lever screw removal

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Jre32
Beginner

Model 1893 - Lever screw removal

Post by Jre32 »

I've got a Model 1893 Lightweight 30-30 that belonged to my father. I know the gun has fired less than 20 rounds in the last 65 years (my dad bought the gun used for $40 in 1951). I have been unable to remove the screw that holds the lever in place. I have tried penetrating oil and heat but no luck getting the screw to budge. I have not tried an impact driver - I don't want to damage the gun. Anybody got any advice on how to get the lever screw out?
daville
Pro-Marksman

Re: Model 1893 - Lever screw removal

Post by daville »

Patience!!! It took years for it to rust in place. Give the penetrating oil time to work. Heat it, add oil let it cool. Impact tools will work but time is still important, give the oil time to work.
Questions and answers only lead to more questions, my head hurts!
Jre32
Beginner

Post by Jre32 »

I suspect my problem removing the lever screw is not rust related. The penetrating oil has had almost a year to do its job.
daville
Pro-Marksman

Post by daville »

Good Luck A impact may be needed . I have seen guys that peened the screw opposite the head so they would stop coming loose. You will have to drill it to release the pressure and find a replacement screw
Questions and answers only lead to more questions, my head hurts!
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

If it requires drilling the screw out to remove it, be sure to do so from the end of the screw, and not the head! Use a sharp punch to make a mark, and start with small drills and work up. I've found that going this route will often result in the screw coming out at some point where the hole gets large enough to relieve the stuck threads. As the hole gets larger, continue to try a screwdriver on the slotted head. It will eventually come out.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!