model 39a serial number question

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

smilinbutcher
Beginner

model 39a serial number question

Post by smilinbutcher »

Hi all hope you can help, my marlin 39a serial number is D24820. It is not listed on a list I was viewing. D would be 1947 correct? But the # is not there. Is this the right #.
Yellowhouse
Beginner

Re: model 39a serial number question

Post by Yellowhouse »

You are correct. 1947
rappini
Beginner

Post by rappini »

I'm new to this site and I also have a serial no question, I purchased a M39-a lever action 22 sl&lr don't ask why it just looked cool. Never saw a sight like this one has anyway the serial no is J-17406 and it had 1870 on the barrel some surface rust but I like it, any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
rappini
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Rappini;

The "J" serial number prefix indicates that your Marlin Model 39-A was made in 1952. There were 32,129 Model 39-A's made in 1952. This rifle will have the old style, very accurate Ballard style rifling that Marlin used in their rifles beginning in 1875.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
rappini
Beginner

Post by rappini »

Gunrunner, thanks a bunch for that information. I also read on this site that is the M39-a is stamped with an HS that means HIgh Speed ammo can or cannot be used. Just curious mine doesn't have HS on it anywhere?

Rappini
rappini
Beginner

Post by rappini »

Gunrunner, being a newbie to this site and the Marlin Rifle, what is Ballard rifling ?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Rappini;

The reference to the "HS" is for the Marlin Model 39, not the 39-A. The Model 39 was made from 1921 to 1939 and only Model 39's made from 1935 o 1939 will have the "HS" serial number prefix. The HS did refer to High Speed ammunition and prior to the guns with the HS prefix, it was not a good idea to use high speed ammunition in guns made prior to 1935. The higher pressures developed by the high speed ammunition had a tendency to crack the breech bolt of the older, non HS guns. This problem was cured with the newer breech bolt of the "HS" Model 39's and guns made after that.
The Ballard rifling was the style and type of rifling Marlin used on all of their rifles made from 1875 to 1954, when Marlin started with the .22 caliber rifles using the new, patented Micro-Groove rifling. In 1957, Marlin used the Micro-Groove rifling in all their rifles.
Ballard rifling generally has between 5 or 6 narrow lands with wide grooves, whereas Micro-Groove rifling has an equal width of lands and grooves with many more of them, about 16 to 22 in number, and not as deep as the old, Ballard style rifling.
I hope this helps.

rappini
Beginner

Post by rappini »

Regnier (gunrunner),
Thank you for the information it helps, I'm just happy there is someone on the site with that much Marlin knowledge. I would like to get your opinion on this M39-a that I purchased is there a way to post pictures on this site.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Rappini;

You can post pictures here. For instructions on how to post pictures, go to the section "No Longer Guest Questions" and scroll down through the posts to titled "Old Marlin in New Zealand". Look for the post by Road King on how to post pictures. His instructions are very good.

rappini
Beginner

Post by rappini »

rappini
Beginner

Post by rappini »

Gunrunner, I finally posted a picture but it was a separate post. It does show the site that is on it maybe you can enlighten me on what it is and if it had a special purpose.
Thanks
Rappini
Brent
Sharpshooter

Post by Brent »

Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Rappini;

The graduation plate on the side of the sight looks like those used on many Lyman receiver sights. If it is a Lyman, it should be marked with the brand name somewhere. You might have to remove the sight to see a particular sight number.
Hard to tell from the one photo, but it kinda looks like a Lyman #48 receiver sight. The Model 39-A was drilled and tapped at the factory to mount receiver sights.
Receiver sights replaced the old, tang mounted sights, and are for those that need the rear sight closer to the eye for sighting. Receiver sights also lengthen the sight radius for somewhat more accurate shooting.

rappini
Beginner

Post by rappini »

Thanks and it does say Lyman on the side plate. Can't wait to take it out and try to zero it in.
rappini
Beginner

Post by rappini »

[URL=http://s976.photobucket.com/user/45acp_ ... 7.jpg.html][IMG]

Regnier, attached is a picture of my Lyman peep site, based on your infor I located the site ID it's a 66MC. question the Grad plate is a little roached out do you think I can clean it up with some 600 emry cloth and some oil? I tried to google to see if I could find a replacement to no avail.