New Home for Model 1888

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Road King
Expert

New Home for Model 1888

Post by Road King »

Well we all have heard the saying "Time has stood still." Well on Friday after travelling across the border and through 3 States I picked up a rifle I had heard about almost a year ago. The 86 year old gentleman that I purchased the gun from said he remembered the rifle hanging in the house he grew up in and never remembered his father ever using it and that it belonged to his grandfather before that. The man that I got the gun from said he never used it and never really considered using it as it was always referred to as the "Old gun on the wall". The gun turned out to be a Marlin Model 1888 in .38-40, this was Marlin's first lever action rifle designed for the common pistol cartridges of the day, .44-40, .38-40 & .32-20. Marlin described this rifle......because it combines the simplest and strongest possible locking mechanism with the greatest accuracy and beauty of outline..... This action , because of it's great simplicity, admits of being made in much more compact and very much lighter model than any of the antiquated arms for sale for the same as asked for the NEW MODEL 1888 Remember this was four years before Winchester developed the Model 1892. The gun is in the condition that all of in the collecting fraternity are always looking for and for me being a Marlin Collector it was like being able to go back in time, walk into the local hardware store and say "I'll take that New Model Marlin you have there on the rack!" The rifle would have cost $21.50 in 1888.
The gun is in almost like new condition and what is also special it is still dressed like the day it came from the factory with a longer barrel than standard. The Model 1888 Marlin is also among the scarcest models to fine because it was Marlin's last top ejecting models and was produced for less than a year. There were only 4,814 rifles made of this model, 1,776 made in .38-40 cal. and only 264 with 26 inch barrels.

This gun letters as being made Nov.7, 1888, in .38 cal., octagon 26" barrel, full magazine holding 14 cartridges.

The previous owner apologized for the condition of the butt plate , hammer and lever but could not understand why they had turned the strange colors they had. I assured him that these parts were what is referred to as case coloring and that is how it came from the factory.

This rifle is likely the highest condition Marlin in my collection and I'm very happy to have it in my care after 125 years.

Road King
" More guns then I need, but not as many as I want."
cj57
Marksman 1st Class

Re: New Home for Model 1888

Post by cj57 »

Wow, what a Super 1888! Congrats
Road King
Expert

Post by Road King »

Here are few more photos of the 1888. Finally stopped raining so I could get some better shots outside.

Road King
Wishbone
Marksman 1st Class

Post by Wishbone »

That is an unbelievable find. A once in a lifetime.... congrats.

WB
MARLIN - THE GUN FOR THE MAN WHO KNOWS
Franco
Beginner

Post by Franco »

Hi,
I have found this Forum, after having checked any way on internet to find a Marlin 1888 firing pin.
It is quite impossible, while M 1889 and following is a bit better.
The official Marlin site gave no solution (I asked for a replica or a readable plan, in order to reproduce).
The only sight I had is from Cornell's, and the M 1888 Manual reprint, but is not so clear.
I did this research for my best friend, who had some health problems, and has a M 1888 Marlin in
good conditions - except for the lack of the firing pin...! The person who had it before made so for
security (?); the little piece was lost on the way.
Although I am writing from Italy, I suppose that a very little piece of steel may be shipped, so I explain
my idea: IF You have a good gunsmith, paying of course (in advance) any logical fee and trouble, please
take down the firing pin, and let me have a duplicate, in order to restore that beautiful rifle.
I think the operation is not complicated, as I suppose only a pin keeps the firing -pin in its place.
Excuse me for this bothering, but I tried for spare part a lot of Guns-Houses, Dixie, Numrich, Gun-Broker and others,
but nothing. The only M 1888 for sale in a Gun-House is now sold, so I do not know to whom ask this courtesy.
Sorry for the long writing, and happy to know Your opinion.
My best regards and greetings.

Gianfranco Iammarino,
Turin, Italy.

P.S. : Cal. is 38 W - serial 22XXX.
Road King
Expert

Post by Road King »

Hello Gianfranco, not sure if this will be of any help. I have included some photos of what an 1888 firing pin looks like. I do not have anyone available that can make one of these but maybe some other members can help out.

Road King
Franco
Beginner

Post by Franco »

Hello Road King,
Thanks a lot for the answer, and the photos.
This a remarkable help, in a reproduction project.
To do so, however, we should need, if possible, a further view of
the 'inletted' part shown in the second photo, near Acme,
and the overall lenght plus the three relevant diameters, possibly in mm.
This would be the maximum to help reproduction.
Thanks again, have my very best regards and greetings,
Gianfranco
Road King
Expert

Post by Road King »

I am going away for a few days but when I get back I will take time to give you all the measurements. It would be much easier to e-mail the information to you than posting it on the forum. You can e-mail me at bwatson0568@rogers.com
I will get back to you next week sometime.
Brian
Road King
Marlinman
Beginner

Post by Marlinman »

That's crazy Road King. What a find! Good job!
Marlin Model 1881 through Model '97 Collector