Seeking info on Marlin 36G

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

ELB1
Beginner

Seeking info on Marlin 36G

Post by ELB1 »

Went into the gun show with plan to acquire a Hi Power clone to tinker with, thus sparing my new pristine FN Hipower the ravages of my efforts. Had all latest dope on Hungarian, Canadian, Indian, Argentinian, CharlesDaly iterations of the HP in my head, and cash in my pocket.

Instead, I spotted this little Marlin lever action for $180, most inexpensive lever action at the show. Wood was good, very smooth with a few tiny dings, finish (of wood) worn but with "character," bluing looks good with wear on the highpoints and one pitting streak on left side of receiver. It is short, like me, and mounts to my shoulder easily. Always had a hankering for a Marlin, to go with the Winchester I inherited. So, of course, I bought it. Hi Power clone will come later.

So now I need to know everthing possible about it. I was surprised to NOT find much come up on this particular model when I searched the web (nothing on the Marlin website), but finally found you all, so maybe you can enlighten me?

Data:
Barrel is stamped with two lines:
"GLENFIELD PRODUCTS NEW HAVE CONN. U.S.A.
"Marlin [in script] Model 36G ---------------- .30-.30 Cal"

Serial No is covered by the lever, AA530xx

Barrel appears to be 20 inches, with I believe a 4-round tube magazine (I haven't loaded it yet to see exactly). Overall length is 38 1/2 inches. Has the curved grip with corresponding curved lever.

Elsewhere on the web I did find a small mention that Marlin redesignated their Model 1893 as Model 1936 in, oddly enough, 1936, then in 1937 redesignated it again in 1937 as Model 36, and that it was made in .30-.30 and .32 Special from 1936-1948. If true, this would make the gun much older than I would have supposed from its appearance. I am guessing the "G" after the 36 means "Guide" gun?

Can you help me out with correct model nomenclature, year of manufacture, owner's manual (if such a thing exists for this one) and any other information about this rifle?

It would be really nice if you told me that this is an extremely rare version of the Marlin and I should start the bidding at $20K. :lol:

I hope you don't tell me that it was a failed experiment in making rifles out of chewing gum foil wrappers and left over radioactive steel from the Manhattan Project, and most people pay $180 to have it hauled off. :oops:

Thanks in advance for your help!

elb
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

Okay, this actually IS a low production rifle. In '64 & 65, 5930 of these were made. With an 'AA' prefix, yours is from '65. This was intended as a no-frills variation of the regular Marlin 336. The only real difference is the less expensive wood used - usually birch. Mechanically, they are the same. The 'G' in 36G is for Glenfield.

These were D&T from the factory. The 36G was replaced by the Glenfield Model 30 in 1966.

You did not get hurt at all with the price you paid as that seems to be about what they go for, + or - . I'm not sure how much room it leaves you for profit, though. Still, these are great shooters, and I think you did well. :D

BTW, I am also a BHP person. I have a practical with several mods & a GP target model form the 80s. SW
I am really not an expert - distinguished or otherwise!!
ELB1
Beginner

Post by ELB1 »

SteveW.

Thanks for the additional info. From tramping around other parts of the internet, I was getting the idea not a lot of these were made. But now I have a number! As I said, I love to know the details. Thanks!

I didn't buy the gun to make a profit on, I just thought it was a really handy little beast, nice looking, and a great price. Had I not seen it, I was just about to go back and haggle over a Hungarian Hi Power that had a $289 price tag on it. However, while I was wandering around with the Marlin over my shoulder, a guy at another table just asked me out of the blue how much I wanted for it. I thought about saying $225, but I had really bought it as a keeper/shooter, so said no.

Took it out and shot it at 50 yards today, just four rounds to see what would happen (had already rung out my Hi Power and was hot enough). Shot high and right about six inches worth, will work on that (and my techique) later.

Thanks again!

elb

p.s. what does D&T stand for? :?
zippy
Beginner

Re: Seeking info on Marlin 36G

Post by zippy »

I just found this thread while googling about a gun I'm going to buy. Forgive my ignorance and newbness of posting before I spend some more time searching the site, which I plan to do. Anyways I too am looking at a Marlin36G. I didn't get the serial number, but this thing is immaculate and I know the collection it is coming is from a avid hunter who took well care of all his guns. Anyways, I didn't find much information like the OP when I was googling. Nice to know that this in fact is a very old gun most likely. You wouldn't be able to tell. I'll post pics when I get a chance. It comes with a scope. Do you guys think $275 is a fair price? I was thinking of taking the scope off and making it original with the iron sights but then again I do plan to hunt with it on occasion and a scope wouldn't hurt lol.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Seeking info on Marlin 36G

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Zippy;

$275.00.......depends on the scope! Some scopes are worth that much, then again, many scopes are not worth $100.00. In any case, the value is there. Even the Model 30TK that was made for K-mart lists for more than that if it is in the condition you describe.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.