Model '97

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

steveo539
Beginner

Model '97

Post by steveo539 »

I have acquired two partial model 97 rifles and am hoping to piece together one working rifle. Rifle 1 is a functioning '97 with a mod 39 (late production) barrel, forearm and magazine. Rifle 2 is an original octagon bbl, forearm but is missing the magazine, buttstock, bolt assembly and ejector. I advertised for a barrel and ended up buying rifle 2. Rifle 1 has the ejector that is held in place with two small screws on the side of the receiver (intact). Rifle 2 is missing the drop in ejector (or drop out ejector in this case). Both receivers are stamped with an 1897 patent date. Does anyone know if the bolt is interchangable on these two receivers? Does anyone have an opinion on which receiver I should use? Why are ther two different ejectors? My '92 and 39 both have the screw in ejectors. Niether rifle is in great shape but I just want an original looking shooter. If I go with the rifle 2, I'll need to try and find an ejector (assuming the bolt is interchangable). One other thing. Rifle two front sight is a spring loaded pivoting sight. One side has a gold bead and the other has an ivory (I think) bead (kind of beat up ivory). You just lift it up and spin it 180 degrees to change from gold to ivory. I've never seen this before. Is it common?

Please help.

Steve

PS. I'll probably have some 39 parts for sale soon.
A man that trades freedom for security has niether.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

The two bolts will interchange, but sometimes they need a bit of fitting, as all Marlin bolts are hand fitted, and may be slightly different.
The sight you described sounds like the Lyman reversible, which is not common at all! They are a nice option to find on any old gun, and fairly valuable too!
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
steveo539
Beginner

Post by steveo539 »

Thanks for the info on the bolt and front sight. Any comment on ejector type? Still need to decide which receiver to use.

Steve
A man that trades freedom for security has niether.
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

As for the ejectors, a model 39 drop-in style can be fitted. Like the bolt, it will not be precise & metal will need to be removed. There were 2 different styles because the designers kept looking for ways to streamline production.

I recently made one model 27 from 3, and the smoking & stoning of various parts to correctly fit them took considerable time. SW
I am really not an expert - distinguished or otherwise!!