Trying to ID Marlin lever gun

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Timl310
Beginner

Trying to ID Marlin lever gun

Post by Timl310 »

I picked up a well used Marlin 30-30 recently and I cannot find any model number information on it. It needs the screw to hold the barrel band in place but I don't know which model so that I can find the part. I would sure appreciate any help. This rifle appears to be an older example but I don't know if it is a little older and poorly maintained or a really old example that has been well maintained. My collecting focus has always been WW II and a this hunting arm is new to me.

I do know that this rifle appeared different from new looking Marlin 30-30s at the same shop. I noted the following:
-The forward "handguard" extends approx 1.5" beyond the barrel band.
-There are 3 screw heads visible on each side of the receiver.
-The stock is a pistol grip
-The serial number is under the lever and use/wear had made it hard to read. The first symbol is unknown (maybe a D?) followed by a four digit number 563X.
-The top of the receiver is marked "Marlin Safety"
-Barrel markings are "Marlin Firearms Company New Haven Conn USA/ 30-30 Cal"
-buckhorn rear sights, front sights are like a blade sight but with a cylinder on top.

Basically a well used 30-30 that for some reason called to me to be my first lever gun. I would sure appreciate any help in IDing this rifle so I can order the correct part.

Thank you,
Tim
Don Anderson
Distinguished Expert

Post by Don Anderson »

Tim:

Does it have a square bolt, in other words, is the bolt flush with the receiver, or can you see a round silver bolt through the oblong opening in the receiver? I believe you have either a Model 36 or a 336 carbine. If you answer my question regarding the bolt, I'll be able to more easily identify the model.

Don
Timl310
Beginner

Post by Timl310 »

Don,
I think I understand what you are saying. This rifle does not have an "ejection port" rather the entire bolt is flush with the side of the receiver. I sure appreciate any help.

Thank you,
Tim
Don Anderson
Distinguished Expert

Post by Don Anderson »

Hi Tim:

You have a Model 336 carbine. Now if you will look at the serial number, you'll find a letter prefix. If you give me thisletter prefix, I'll be able to tell you the year of manufacture. I'll also be able to give you the part number for the barrel band screw and you can then call Marlin and order one.

Don
Don Anderson
Distinguished Expert

Post by Don Anderson »

Tim:

CORRECTION on last post.

I just went back to re-read the descrition you gave, and with the top of the receiver marked "Marlin Safety", it cannot be a Model 336. I read your message too fast and errored. With the "Marlin Safety", a square bolt, and the serial number letter prefix that looks like a "D", it would be a Model 36, made in 1947. Sorry about the confusion. One more question, does it have a blued receiver? If it does and the letter prefix is D, it definitely is a 1947 Model 36. Sorry about the confusion.

One last thing, if you look at the roll stamp on the barrel, isn't it stamped Model 36? It should be marked:
THE MARLIN FIREARMS CO. New Haven, CONN. U.S.A. EST. - 1870
MODEL 36 - RC - 30-30 CAL. -------------

Don
Timl310
Beginner

Post by Timl310 »

Thank you. I just looked at another Model 36 at an online auction and it is a match. The rifle appears to be refinished (but some time ago) and some of the markings on the barrel are faint. Now that I know what to look for I can just make out 36RC (and googled that to translate to regular carbine). The receiver is blue, but of course since it looks refinished that does not say much.
I appreciate the help. I know my Mausers from my Mannlichers but I am just now learning about Marlins.

Thank you,
Tim