Seeking value of old Model 39

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

LarryA44
Beginner

Seeking value of old Model 39

Post by LarryA44 »

I have a Marlin Model 39 Take Down lever action rifle that was manufactured in the early '20's.

The S/N is S 218x. It has a 24" octogon barrel, with "22 S - L & L-R" engraved on the barrel. The bore seems spotless. Mechanically, the rifle is in excellent condition. The lever is smooth and the trigger is crisp. All screws are intact and function. The magazine tube functions perfectly and sights are intact. It's extremely accurate with Blazer .22s.

Cosmetically, though, it's pretty worn. The pistol grip stock has excellent grain, but is dinged and scratched. On one side, the finish is worn down to the wood.

The receiver and lever appears to be case hardened, but is pretty much grayed. The barrel has lost most of the bluing (sorry, but I'm terrible at estimating percentage).

I'm considering sellingit; can you estimate the value? Please reply to me at: larry44ATgmail.com. Thanks for any help!
JohnK
Sharpshooter

Post by JohnK »

The value of your 39 can have quite a range. With the description you gave, it sounds like it has been not pampered, "cosmetic wise". To guess a value without seeing pictures of your rifle, and from my area (Ohio) your rifle can vary in value from $300 upwards of $500 or more. Maybe less, if the exterior is lacking as much bluing as you say. Rust is a big factor to also consider too. It's all according to who wants it and how bad.
If I had pictures, I could give you a much better appraisal. If you have the access to email pictures, please feel free to email them to me and I'll do my best to get you a more accurate price. If you can post them here, then you will get quite a few opinions of the value and the quality ofthe 39 you have.