Mod 30AS 30/30 & mod 1894 carbine .357 mag: What do I ha

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Dwayne S

Mod 30AS 30/30 & mod 1894 carbine .357 mag: What do I ha

Post by Dwayne S »

I have these two rifles and I seem to have a hard time finding any info on the 30AS especially. Any input is much appreciated.
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

Dwayne,

The 30AS is a continuation of the Glenfield model 30A. The Glenfield line was dropped in '84 (?), but the 30A, being very popular, was kept on as the Marlin 30AS. The 'S' is for crossbolt safety. This is an economy model, but the main cost-cutting feature is the non-walnut stock. Several thousands of these were made.

Not having the model of your 357, I'll address it as an 1894C in 357. Those were made from 1979 to 1984, and a few over 90,000 of them were produced. SW
Dwayne S

Post by Dwayne S »

Thanks Steve,
My 357 is a model 1894 carbine and I just aquired it from a friend of mine. I traded a Carl Gustafs 6.5 mmx55mm m94 for it. He needed a better coyote gun for long ranges and I just plain wanted to get my hands this sweet little lever action. I've only had it for a week now and haven't had much of a chance to play around with it yet, but i'll try it out this coming weekend.
Dwayne S

Post by Dwayne S »

Thanks Steve,
My 357 is a model 1894 carbine and I just aquired it from a friend of mine. I traded a Carl Gustafs 6.5 mmx55mm m94 for it. He needed a better coyote gun for long ranges and I just plain wanted to get my hands on this sweet little lever action. I've only had it for a week now and haven't had much of a chance to play around with it yet, but i'll try it out this coming weekend.
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

Dwayne,

I regularly carry my Marlin 1894CP in 357 when I scout turkeys in the buttes nearby. I have had good results with 125 JHP bullets & large measures of WW296 & Magnum primers - staying within safe, published loads, of course. So far, the coyotes & badgers have not offered a solid target. SW