336 RC extractor replacement

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

jdavidmeredith
Beginner

336 RC extractor replacement

Post by jdavidmeredith »

From an earlier post it was determined that I need to replace the extractor on my 336 30-30. I have found that if I unscrew the screw that holds the lever to the receiver you can pull lever out of the receiver and the bolt straight out the back. But, how do I get the old extractor off?

Also, what do I need to make sure of when I put it back together to make sure it is assebled correctly?

Thanks for your help.

David
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

It's never easy to precisely describe this operation in words - I could show you much more quickly. That not being an option, here is a quote from the NRA rifle & shotgun assembly manual:

"The extractor may be pried gently from its slot with a small screwdriver. Care should be taken not to mar the breech bolt or to bend the extractor excessively in this operation."

It's not a complicated operation - go slowly & it will pop off. Gently spread the new one to get it over the bolt. For re-assembly, the main point is to be sure the bolt rides precisely over the ejector or the bolt will bind. Most difficulties in easy bolt movement after re-assembly can be traced to this. SW
Sidespin
Beginner

Post by Sidespin »

Is this the ejector spring you are referring to?

SS
GbyGbA
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

Sidespin,

Yes. The ejector & spring are one piece. If they are not in the slot just right or the bolt is not 'plumb' , the two will bind causing difficult lever operation. SW