336a ser#f......

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Scuba Mike

336a ser#f......

Post by Scuba Mike »

Well dad pasted away and handed down to me his marlin 30/30 336....a...
ser# f28450. I looked around this site first for the answer but because they skipped letters I have no way to tell how old it is. when i was a kid the story I was told is that he bought it in San Fran right after ww2 was over. I have seen alot of 336a's online but surely this gun of mine is worth more than 300 bucks?

Scuba Mike
Don Anderson
Distinguished Expert

Post by Don Anderson »

Scuba Mike:

Your F prefix Marlin 336 was made in 1949, the second year of the Model 336. Is is a carbine with a 20" barrel and full magazine, a rifle with a 24" barrel and 2/3 magazine, or a sporting carbine, which has the same configuration as the rifle only it has a 20" barrel. The carbine has a barrel band on the forearm, whereas the rifle and sporting carbine have a forearm cap. Price will be determined upon condition.

Don
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

This reply is not going to address your question directly. A family history rifle has far more value than one purchased by a stranger. Even if you never fire this rifle your child, grandchild, or great grandchild will be able to say this rifle has been in my family for xxx years. No one can place a value on that. Create documents that explain when your dad acquired the rifle, how he used it, (hunting, target shooting, or whatever) You have a piece of family history there. It will be up to you whether it will continue to be.
GBOT, GBUSA
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

From where I'm sitting, it would have to be absolutely pristine to command a price greater than 300. Something that helps value is the grain of the wood. If a certain rifle has really nice figure, the value will appreciate considerably. I agree that you should document all you can about it and pass it along in your family. SW

Post by Guest »

I am amzed at the low prices that old 336's, in good condition, command. I suppose it is the fact that 7 million of them have been produced over the years.

I am curently waiting to get my "like new" 1948 336RC. This first year of production rifle set me back $325 from the previous owner.
Don Anderson
Distinguished Expert

336 Value

Post by Don Anderson »

Shure-Shot:

I agree that a rifle belonging to a family member has something to do with value. However, that relates to a personal sentimental value. When he stated that he felt it would bring over $300, he was specifically referring to the actual dollar value or market value. When referring to market or resale value, condition, as I previously stated, becomes the the main factor, not sentiment. If we were dealing in only sentimental value, you're correct. One cannot put a dollar price on that.

I'm still curious as to which style he has.......A, RC, or SC. This also can play a part in the value equasion.

Don
scuba mike

Post by scuba mike »

Well Don, shure-shot, SW, and guest.
what best discribes the rifle is the 24" 2/3 magazine one.
even tho is clearly states Mod # 336 A 30-30 Cal------A-------
I'm just curious about what it is worth? pray that I dont Die! because
my 24yr old son would take it to the nearest pawnshop and sell it for
40 bucks Swear!. I agree it is worth more to me because it is my Dads
and the broken butt plate and the small crack in the stock where my dad put to death a hard to kill Buck just adds to the heritage of the rifle. I know my dad killed alot of deer in the placerville area in Ca when he was a timberman there. maybe i'll live long enough to see my son grown-up and start a family. but till that day gets here I want to insure it for what it is worth market value historical valueetc.

Thanks scuba mike
Don Anderson
Distinguished Expert

336 Value

Post by Don Anderson »

Mike:

With the 24" barrel, you have a rifle. That's good, as Marlin did not make as many rifles as they did carbines. As to the value, things like the broken buttplate and the cracked butt stock all play a part. Can you be more specific as to the amount of wear and knicks, etc., that is on the butt stock and forearm. How much bluing wear is there on the barrel and the magazine tube? Are there any "freckles", pitting or rust any where on the metal? (Barrel, magazine tube, or receiver.) Has it become "silvery" on either side of the hammer and around the finger lever screw? (The front part of the lever where it pivots into the receiver.) These are all things we would have to know to give you an estimate as to value. It's very difficult to do without being able to inspect the rifle.

Don
oldwolf
Beginner

Post by oldwolf »

Sometimes a gun is worth more to you than to a buyer. I have a number of them that belonged to my Dad, Grandad and Great uncle etc. that are irreplaceable as far as I am concerned.

My homeowners insurance has a floater that covers my guns.

You could put new parts on it to replace the buttstock and it wouldn't effect the worth a whole lot.
Last edited by oldwolf on Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
OldWolf
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

If I had to stick my neck out & name a dollar figure, from the description given and implied... I'd say it's in the 150 - 200 range. That applies to this part of the country though. It's nearly impossible to assign a value to an unseen rifle as there are just too many variables. SW