1894S 44-40 Mystery

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Mickey Way
Beginner

1894S 44-40 Mystery

Post by Mickey Way »

Hello everyone. I have come across one that isn't in the Blue Book, nor is it in the 2002 Standard Catalog of Firearms, nor have I seen any on the auctions.

It is marked on the barrel "1894S" chambered for 44-40. The word "cowboy" does not appear anywhere on the gun or the box. It has a 20" round barrel, 10 shot tube, uncheckered walnut stock and forend, and a cross-bolt safety. It is a recent production (obvious because of the safety) with a 8 digit serial number (444XXXXX)

The price tag is what is confusing me because I can't verify the model for value anywhere.

If someone can tell me where else to look for the value of this model, I would greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks!!!
JohnK
Sharpshooter

Post by JohnK »

The 1894S in 44-40 that you have was a special order by Jerry's Sport Center Distributors. They received 875 (not cataloged) from Marlin in 1993 It hasn't been produced again in that configuration.

I bought mine shortly after they were produced from a dealer at the cost of $425.00. I'm not sure what today's market is bringing, but they seem to be sleepers for such a small number of them being produced.

I have a small web page that I put together that shows some of the 1894's and their stats. 8)

http://www.lts.net/~aw/homepage/1894stats.html
Mickey Way
Beginner

Post by Mickey Way »

Outstanding! Thanks for the info! The one here is priced at $595 UNFIRED. I just couldn't find anything addressing this rifle. If it sits on the rack too much longer, it will be up for auction on GunBroker.

Thanks again.