Model '92

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Devon

Model '92

Post by Devon »

My Dad gave me a very nice Marlin model '92 in .22 S-L-LR with a serial # of A43**. That's right, one letter and 4 #'s. When he gave it to me the magazine tube was not functional, so I took it to my friendly 'smith. He installed a tube from a modern rifle, I kept the original. When I went to pick it up, a fellow that was there offered me $800 cash as I was walking out. It's not for sale I told him, it's a family heirloom. Anyway, is that a reasonable offer for such a gun? Does anyone have any idea when it was made? I tried a couple of suggestions on this site but they were a no go. It really is a beautiful gun to look at and shoots very nice. The peep site behind the hammer makes the gun very accurate out to 100 paces. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Devon
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Devon,
My best guess would put your gun into the era of just before WWI. "A" prefix guns were most liely the last of the model '92 Marlins made. After WWI the '92 was dropped from production.
In my opinion, an offer of $800 for a '92 Marlin with a late style magazine adapted to it was most generous! If it was all original, and had the correct tube, it might get more, but the later tube will drastically affect it's value to most collectors.
Hope this helps.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Devon

Thanks

Post by Devon »

I won't be selling it, but it's nice to have an idea of what I have. The original tube is intact and repairable, and no modification to the gun itself was required, but due to it's inherent weak design, and my desire to shoot it (and often!), I opted for a more reliable design. Should I ever desire to restore this beautiful piece, the original tube will go back on. For now I want to use it as my Dad did and my great uncle before him, and my great grand father before him did. Almost too much history there. It's been in my family since it was new, and it's surely never leaving my family as long as I have a breath.

Devon
oodmoff
Marksman

Post by oodmoff »

kinda puts a tear in your eye....Hopefully one day you can pass er down! :D

Excuse me while I go toughen up....
Thanks
Darin
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Devon;

Just be careful shooting that fine old Marlin Model 1892. It was not made to shoot modern high speed ammunition, and if you do, you can cause damage to the breech bolt, cracking it. Shoot only standard velocity or target ammunition in your antique Marlin.
I hope this helps.