336 RC shell sticking

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

jdavidmeredith
Beginner

336 RC shell sticking

Post by jdavidmeredith »

A friend of mine just gave me a 336 RC. The serial # begins in 'AD' I picked up from other posts that it was manufactured in 1968. It has a straight stock and a micro groove barrel. It's in good condition. Any thoughts on the value?

When he gave it to me he said that the spent shells won't eject when the lever is pulled down. You have to take a small knive and pull it out manually. It shoots just fine, just won't eject the shells. So, you can only load one at a time. Any ideas what might be wrong and how much it might cost to repair. Thanks in advance for your help.

David
Sidespin
Beginner

Post by Sidespin »

Sure shot is always right on, however let me ask a question. From your desctiption of pulling the spent casing out, are you saying you pull it from the chamber or the receiver? If you are pulling it from the chamber, yes you may have a worn or broken ejector.

I had the same problem with my CS a few years ago and found that it was two things, a DIRTY ejector and A DIRTY chamber. Residue had collected under the ejector and in the chamber. I had owned the rifle for a few weeks and had not shot it. The only cleaning I did until then was to swab the bore a few times with a dry patch.

After this frustration I took the rifle down all the way, cleaned each part, especially the bore, receiver, bolt and chamber. Then applied a light coat of oil and she has been working most reliably since.

If you are digging the spent casing from the receiver you probably need an ejector spring. You will see it on the link sure shot gave you.

What caliber is your rifle? I just love those old straight grips!

SS
GbyGbA
jdavidmeredith
Beginner

Post by jdavidmeredith »

First of all, this rifle is a 30/30. I forgot to mention that in the first post. I do have to pull it from the chamber. I looked at the diagram and it does appear the extractor is broken. I personally have never taken a rifle apart, so I'll take it to a gunsmith to be repaired. Thanks so much for your help.
Sidespin
Beginner

Post by Sidespin »

JDM,

The rifle is very easy to take apart, however the gunsmith route would be good because he can look at everything else and make an evaluation.

Enjoy your rifle!

SS
GbyGbA