Rifle I inherited

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Miguel

Rifle I inherited

Post by Miguel »

I just got back from Mexico where my grandfather left me an old rifle as his inheritance to me. He was an avid gun collector throughout his life, but I don't have much history on the rifle. Still works and is in great shape only missing a piece of the sight closest to the ejection chamber. I saw the following on the rifle

Pat'd Oct 11, 1887/April 12, 1889/Aug 1, 1893
<Special Smokeless Steel>
Marlin Safety
Model 1893
B419

Any help would be great and any suggestions on the process of getting it to California, where I live, from Mexico would be great, thanks.
Parley Baer
Distinguished Expert

Post by Parley Baer »

Hi

The rifle was made sometime right before WW1. Maybe 1915 or so. I don't know why but a lot of the Model 1893's with a B prefix to the serial number have come out of Mexico. Maybe they were bought because of the revolution?

When I was doing research on the late Model 1893's the ones with a B prefix to the serial number were not as common here in the US as the others with the A, C or D prefix. Parley
It's a chancey job and it makes a man watchfull....and a little lonely.
Miguel

Thanks

Post by Miguel »

Thanks for the info, it makes sense that the rifle wold be from around that time because the story goes in my family that my grandfather's family had to move becuse of the revolution to the town where they live now. Thanks, any pointes on who to talk to as far as bringing it into the country legally, please let me know.
Parley Baer
Distinguished Expert

Post by Parley Baer »

I wish I could help on bringing your rifle into this country. In the old days they were just brought across. :) However times have changed with the tighter border security and new laws. Maybe a gunshop in San Diego or one of the border cities such as El Paso can help with ideas or an importer. Parley
It's a chancey job and it makes a man watchfull....and a little lonely.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Miguel;

There will not be any customs or duty on your rifle as it was manufactured in this country. I suggest you contact Customs to see what they tell you about bringing it home. It is a real problem for a U.S. citizen to have a firearm in Mexico. If you are caught with it, you can go to jail. As Parley suggested, you may need to find someone with an importers license to import it for you.
Good luck...........

Post by Guest »

Thanks, I know there has to be a way of getting it here, just going to require a little research.
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

You have to send a request to the ATF for a form (I think it is #6 but check their web site). You fill out the form and send it and a FFL, if your not one check your local gun shop, send it to the ATF and you get a signed form back. (you will need all the info including ser. #, who will be shipping it etc. for the form).
When you get the form back you send the form and the FFL to the shipper who puts it in an envelope attached to the boxed firearm and ships it to american customs. They inspect it and if all is as reported you should see the firearm in about 6 months. (They are slow in getting the form back after you fill it out).
GBOT, GBUSA
miguel

Post by miguel »

Thanks, that'a a lot of info and I think I can wait for six months to bring it home...