aftermarket straigh grip stock for youth 336

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

waterhouse
Beginner

aftermarket straigh grip stock for youth 336

Post by waterhouse »

hi all, new here,

I'd like to get a 16 inch barreled 30-30, with a striaght grip stock. So far it looks like the winchester trapper, but I'm more of a marlin fan. I know they used to make such a gun, but they seem pretty hard to find. What I'm thinking about is getting a youth model and finding a straight grip, full length stock to put on it.

If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

thanks,
waterhouse
Don Anderson
Distinguished Expert

Malin .30-30 with 16 1/4" barrel

Post by Don Anderson »

Hi Waterhouse:

Yes, Marlin did make a Model 336 with a 16 1/4" barrel with a straight stock in the .30-30 caliber. (also in .35 caliber). It was call the Marauder and they made only 909 in 1962: 1189 in 1963; and 1730 in 1964, for a total of 3828. As there were only 3828 made in the .30-30, collectors are after this model, but they do appear from time to time. Also, in 1988, Marlin reintroduced this 16 1/4" barrel carbine in .30-30 only, with a straight stock, and it was called the Model 336 LTS. (Lightweight with crossbolt safety) Because of the political correctness invading our lives, they could no longer call it by it's original name, Marauder. There were only a total of 2674 of these made, consequently they also a hard to find, but are available. You might try putting an ad in the "Wanted" section of this site, and also watch all the gun auctions on the internet. Good luck.

Don
waterhouse
Beginner

Post by waterhouse »

thanks for the replies. I called several stores in town but no one seems to know of anyone who makes aftermarket stocks for lever guns, so I went out and got a used 336 today with a 20 inch barrel. I guess at some point in the future I'll get a trapper too.

waterhouse
Don Anderson
Distinguished Expert

336 with 16 1/4" barrel

Post by Don Anderson »

Hi Val:

You're right. I misunderstood what he was looking for and thought is was for someone like his son and he needed the shortened stock. Your suggestion was the way to go, especially since you have a barrel and mag tube.

To Waterhouse:

I would suggest you take Marlinman 93's offer and pick up his 16 1/4" barrel and mag tube and then have it put on a straight grip carbine. It would be the easiest and best way to go.

Don