Marlin 1881 Loading Tools

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Road King
Expert

Marlin 1881 Loading Tools

Post by Road King »

I thought I would share my small collection of Marlin 1881 Loading Tools. These things are rare and hard to find in my part of the country.
I would like to hear from from anyone who is collecting these. Winchester really missed the boat for not buying this patent from Browning when he offered it to them, I'm glad they did. I think these are an amazing tool.

Starting at the 7 oclock position and going clock wise: #1160- .40-60, #2103- .40-60W, #2412- .45-75, #4125- .32-40, #6187- .38-55, #6283- .32-40, #7177- .38-55

Road King
" More guns then I need, but not as many as I want."
KirkD
Beginner

Re: Marlin 1881 Loading Tools

Post by KirkD »

Those tools are ingenious. The amount of functionality packed into such a small hand tool is impressive.
Road King
Expert

Post by Road King »

Picked another Model 1881 loading tool to add to my collection. This one is in .40-60 caliber with a serial number 1245. This tool is in amazing condition, almost mint and looks like unused condition. The bluing is bright, almost looks like nitre bluing (not sure if that is the process that was used) I'm very happy to have been able to get this tool to add to my collection. These really are the nicest tool that was ever produced. :) Now if I can just find a box for it. :?

Road King
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Brian;

Nice collection of tools, and that last one......very nice!
Have you gone to the Antique Reloading Tool Collectors Association website and entered the serial numbers of your tools? There is a place on their website for listing of the Model 1881 loading tool and serial numbers and calibers of them. It is quite an impressive list and you can see the rare calibers listing.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Road King
Expert

Post by Road King »

Hi Rick, I really like finding these tools and collecting them. I have added a couple more since the group photo was taken also. I believe all my tools have been entered in the data base as I gave the serial numbers to Tom Quigley to enter. I need to get a membership to the http://www.antiquereloadingtools.com/ so I can keep up with the data base of the Model 1881 tools but have been sort of putting it off. :oops:
Road King
stuffisgood
Beginner

Post by stuffisgood »

Sorry to hijack an old thread, but I'm having a really hard time coming up with information on a particular piece. The only other place that might be able to help me is the antique reloading tool collectors association, but they want $40 to access information...

I have the Browning marked version of this reloading tool. It is marked "J M Browning Ogden UT 44W". I haven't been able to find any estimates of how many are known to exist, estimated value, even a picture of another one for that matter.

I'm hopeful that someone who collects these will be able to help me out. I will get some pictures up later. I'm having a hard time with photobucket right now.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

I guess if $40 is too high, you probably wont want to spend the money for the book Reloading Tools of the Black Powder Era. It's probably the only source that covers the very rare Browning version prior to JB selling his design to Marlin.
I'm not sure anyone can put a number to how many Browning marked versions were made? And probably even tougher to put a value on them since so few ever turn up for sale.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Imperator
Beginner

Post by Imperator »

do any of the 1881 loading tool collectors use their tools? I would be interested in hearing thoughts on its use and quality compared to other period tools.
I am compiling a reference of John Brownings patents and prototypes, the reloading tool is almost never mentioned. I hope pick up a copy of the rove&curtis book soon, as it appears to be the only resource on this tools history.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Rowe & Ed Curtis books are a great resource, but the Antique Reloading Tool Collectors group have far more info on the 1881 tools. Tom Quigley and the guys who run that assn. are good people and have been documenting serial numbers of these tools for many years before Rowe & Curtis books came out.
John Browning sold his fantastic design patent to John Marlin and at the time it was decades ahead of any other hand tool for reloading. It might still be the only hand tool that full length resizes cases, and certainly was back then!
I've got them in .45-70, .40-60M, .38-55, and .32-40 calibers. I've used them all to reload with, just to see how they work. I found them to be an extremely well made tool, and if I was a hunter back in the day I'd certainly use them all the time. But they're not better than a modern bench mounted reloading press and dies, so I don't use them beyond the first test to see how they did.

You can find Rowe & Curtis's two volume sets on Ebay for much less than the going rate. They sell for $160-$200 a set, but I bought mine for $139 on Ebay.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Imperator
Beginner

Post by Imperator »

Road King - I would like to inquire if I may use some of your photos for an online article? I don't seem to have privileges for sending private messages on the site, I can be contacted at info@houseofbrowning.com
Road King wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:43 pm Picked another Model 1881 loading tool to add to my collection. This one is in .40-60 caliber with a serial number 1245. This tool is in amazing condition, almost mint and looks like unused condition. The bluing is bright, almost looks like nitre bluing (not sure if that is the process that was used) I'm very happy to have been able to get this tool to add to my collection. These really are the nicest tool that was ever produced. :) Now if I can just find a box for it. :?

Road King
Expert

Post by Road King »

I have sent you an e mail.
Road King