Model 1894 carrier rocker spring variations

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Gunner99
Beginner

Re: Model 1894 carrier rocker spring variations

Post by Gunner99 »

I've got an early Model 1894, 25-20 and it doesn't have a spring and I see no place to put one. My carrier and rocker look similar if not exactly the same as the one in your picture. Went to Numrich but there is no picture representation of the carrier (item 10 & 11) other than the poor image in the initial parts breakdown list for the 1894 early model. Although mine is still a work in progress and I haven't actually fired it yet or tried to feed any rounds through it, so, probably not much help but thought I'd share anyway. If you figure out how or if your carrier actually requires a spring please update your post to share the info. Thanks!
dwostler
Beginner

Post by dwostler »

I'm starting to think that mine doesn't have or need one.

I see some reference to some that look like mine that have the complete window, don't have a spring.

Thanks for your help, Dennis
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

They all used a rocker spring, and it simply sits between the rocker and the carrier, trapped. There's no slot or cut to fit it into. It will likely only work occasionally, if you decide to assemble it without a rocker spring.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
dwostler
Beginner

Post by dwostler »

can you tell me where the spring will go?

https://thebugfather.smugmug.com/Marlin-1894/n-xJvjKJ

Thanks, Dennis
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

The rocker spring simply sits under the rocker with the bent end pushing up against the rocker to make it return after the lever passes over it during cycling. It hooks on the edge of the rocker, and stays put once the rocker and spring assembly is reassembled in the carrier and pin replaced.
The rocker in your picture attached looks much heavier than the originals I own? I hope it's not a poorly made Numrich part?
dwostler
Beginner

Post by dwostler »

No, I think it is the original from 1897.
But since I’ve not owned it since 1897, I can’t be positive. :lol:
Thanks, Dennis
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

dwostler wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:18 am No, I think it is the original from 1897.
But since I’ve not owned it since 1897, I can’t be positive. :lol:
Thanks, Dennis
Excuse me. I meant the rocker spring looked much heavier, not the rocker.
dwostler
Beginner

Post by dwostler »

Yes the spring is from Numrich, it is a little long for the rocker and only half as wide, it doesn’t fit at all well.
Thanks, Dennis
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Contact Larry Osborn at:

marlingunscrews@gmail.com 208-651-6300

Larry has the correct spring, and also a huge assortment of correct screws for early Marlins. Tell him Vall sent you.
dwostler
Beginner

Post by dwostler »

Gunner99 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:39 pm I've got an early Model 1894, 25-20 and it doesn't have a spring and I see no place to put one. My carrier and rocker look similar if not exactly the same as the one in your picture. Went to Numrich but there is no picture representation of the carrier (item 10 & 11) other than the poor image in the initial parts breakdown list for the 1894 early model. Although mine is still a work in progress and I haven't actually fired it yet or tried to feed any rounds through it, so, probably not much help but thought I'd share anyway. If you figure out how or if your carrier actually requires a spring please update your post to share the info. Thanks!
I will, for now I plan on cleaning up the bore and using it in Pistol Cartridge Lever Action Silhouette. I will have to load it two at a time. I will load one in the magazine, then cycle, then one in the magazine again. Each time I fire, I will cycle and load another in the magazine, for 5 shots in 2 Min. All rounds need to fire through the magazine, but I can't take more than one at a time through the magazine. When I load 2 or more, it locks up the lever in the open position. Only way to clear it is to take the lever off, with effort and clear out the rounds. I think it is something more than the "Marlin Jam", but I could be wrong.

Thanks, Dennis O.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

I've never experienced the Marlin jam in any pre WWII era Marlin unless it had other issues. The cartridges stacking up in the action indicate the carrier is not dropping down enough to cut off the next cartridge, or the loading gate is worn out, or loose. It only happens as you put more rounds in the magazine and pressure on the spring can be greater, which causes the issue.
A properly functioning early 1894 wont ever have the Marlin jam issues that the late models are known for.
dwostler
Beginner

Post by dwostler »

Thanks for the information, I will try both.

Also, do you think it is related to the carrier rocker spring?

Thanks, Dennis O.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Absolutely possible it could be the rocker causing the carrier to be out of alignment. The protrusion on the end of the lever rests against the rocker and that's what dictates how the carrier rises or drops. So if the rocker isn't held in position by the spring pressure the carrier is all out of whack.