Marlin 1893 Date of Manufacture?

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Yrag
Beginner

Marlin 1893 Date of Manufacture?

Post by Yrag »

I recently came across a Marlin lever action rifle in 32-40 caliber that has me a bit mystified. The serial number is D8225 and when I try to look it up as to age (here http://oldguns.net/sn_php/marlinlookup.php ) it tells me the rifle was made in 1884 but I do have to remove the letter to get it to work - so just 8225. The seller of the rifle claims it is a 1893 model as it is marked 1893 as the last patent date on the barrel so I wonder how it could have a manufacture date that is earlier than its model number. It is marked Marlin Safety on the top of the receiver. It does not look anything like a 1881 or other earlier models and does look like a 1893 - the location of three screws on the right side of the receiver is consistent with pictures of a 1893. There is also a slight wrench mark on the barrel near the receiver so it looks like somebody has changed or attempted to change the barrel which is also marked For Black Powder. There is a later tang sight mounted which resists my efforts to remove it so I can't see if there is a model number it. I have posted this same inquiry on another sight but need to verify since I want to sell this and it would be beneficial to know if it is an antique or not. Thanks for your comments!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin 1893 Date of Manufacture?

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Yrag;

Per BATF&E regulations, your Marlin is NOT an antique. It would be classified as a Curio & Relic. The "For Black Powder" barrel did not come out until 1905. So we know it is after 1905. The "D" prefix serial number, depending upon where that number is located, indicates it was made either about 1919/1920, or maybe even later, say around 1924. If the serial number is up by the forearm, it is the earlier date, and it the serial number is under the lever, it will be the later date.
Since you have a tang mounted sight, you would need to verify that the gun is marked Model 1893, and if it is, then the earlier date applies. If it is actually marked "Marlin Mod. '93", then it will be the later date.
The serial number look-ups do not work for guns with the letter prefix. The Marlin records actually end in December of 1906 at about 355,500 and no reference is made after that date. Anything between 1906 and about 1940 is pretty much an estimation as there are no records to help dating when a Marlin was manufactured.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Yrag
Beginner

Post by Yrag »

Thanks for that concise reply Regnier. C&R it is then.It does have the serial number at the front bottom of the receiver just behind the forend.
lineberry3
Beginner

Post by lineberry3 »

Regnier (gunrunner) wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:36 pm Yrag;

Per BATF&E regulations, your Marlin is NOT an antique. It would be classified as a Curio & Relic. The "For Black Powder" barrel did not come out until 1905. So we know it is after 1905. The "D" prefix serial number, depending upon where that number is located, indicates it was made either about 1919/1920, or maybe even later, say around 1924. If the serial number is up by the forearm, it is the earlier date, and it the serial number is under the lever, it will be the later date.
Since you have a tang mounted sight, you would need to verify that the gun is marked Model 1893, and if it is, then the earlier date applies. If it is actually marked "Marlin Mod. '93", then it will be the later date.
The serial number look-ups do not work for guns with the letter prefix. The Marlin records actually end in December of 1906 at about 355,500 and no reference is made after that date. Anything between 1906 and about 1940 is pretty much an estimation as there are no records to help dating when a Marlin was manufactured.
Maybe you can help me with my serial #. I have a Saddle Ring Carbine, Model 1893 on tang, A3437. Most of the markings on the barrel are worn off and I have know idea what caliber it is. Bought it from a gun dealer in the late 80's as a wall hanger. Unfortunately it has a aftermarket rear sight.

Thanks
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Lineberry3;

Since it is marked "Model 1893" on the upper tang, with the serial number having an "A" prefix, consider your gun to have been made in about 1916 by either the Marlin Arms Corporation or Marlin-Rockwell Corporation.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.