1893 Marlin date of manufacture

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

jkirk49
Beginner

1893 Marlin date of manufacture

Post by jkirk49 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:53 am

I have an old 1893 Marlin that was a parts gun that I just repaired back to shooter condition. I'm a little confused about the manufacture date though. The serial number is 12xx and when I plug that in it comes up as built before 1893. How can that be?

Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: 1893 Marlin date of manufacture

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:21 pm

Jkirk49;

Is this rifle a Model 1893, or a Model '93? Where is the serial number located? (near the forearm or under the lever) Is it marked Marlin Firearms Company or Marlin Firearms Corporation?
After 1916, serial numbers changed and a new system was utilized which is why a 4 digit number confuses things.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.

jkirk49
Beginner

Post by jkirk49 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:51 pm

This was an old stripped receiver I had laying around. It's marked Model 1893 on the upper tang and Marlin Safety on top and the side of the upper tang is marked 653. The serial number is on the bottom near the forearm. The barrel I had is marked Marlin Firearms CO. New Haven and says special smokeless Like I was saying this was a parts gun, or more accurately, a box full of gun parts that I reassembled so not sure if everything came from the same rifle.

Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:37 pm

Jkirk49;

You do have a mixed bag of parts there. The marking Model 1893 was discontinued about 1920 in favor of Model '93. The lower tang number does not match the receiver number, so the lower tang is from another gun.
Does this receiver have the lower tang support screw in the left side of the receiver? If it does, then the receiver is after 1895 when smokeless powder came out. Is the top of the receiver drilled and tapped for the Marlin-Hepburn receiver sight? If it is, then it was made after August 1, 1903. If not, then it was made before that date.
If this receiver does not have the lower tang support screw, I would be using lower pressure loads to shoot. That screw was added after smokeless powder came out to give some support to the lever that was holding the breech bolt in place. The higher pressures of the smokeless powders cause the lower tang to flex somewhat so the screw was added to help back up the lever and support the lower tang.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.

jkirk49
Beginner

Post by jkirk49 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:51 pm

Yep it has the support screw on the left side and is also tapped on top for the receiver sight