1889 questions

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Spangler89
Beginner

1889 questions

Post by Spangler89 »

Picked up my first "antique" rifle this weekend, and I'm trying to figure out if I made a good buy.
It's a 1889 in 38-40. So far I've found that it was made in 1891 and it does function, and shoot pretty well.
It has a half mag and a 20" octagon barrel that has me questioning if it's an original. The front sight says marbles which leads me to believe that it may have been cut down years ago. Stock is a straight rifle style with the crescent plate and there isn't a saddle ring or sign of it ever having one. If anyone can help me figure out what the original configuration may have been it would be greatly appreciated.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: 1889 questions

Post by marlinman93 »

Without the serial number it would be tough for Regnier to tell you if it's original. The front sight should be @1" to center from the crown, so if it's not it's likely cut down. Also check under the front sight to see if the dovetail cut has file marks that would indicate it was a home gunsmithed chop.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Spangler89
Beginner

Post by Spangler89 »

marlinman93 wrote:Without the serial number it would be tough for Regnier to tell you if it's original. The front sight should be @1" to center from the crown, so if it's not it's likely cut down. Also check under the front sight to see if the dovetail cut has file marks that would indicate it was a home gunsmithed chop.
Yea I was hoping to get information from him, I just didnt get the rifle out to get the serial number, and it's sitting at home right now. But I will check the front sight out when I get off work today. Thanks for the tip.
Spangler89
Beginner

Post by Spangler89 »

S/n is 74652 and the front sight is about 15/16" to the center from the muzzle so I guess it's been cut?
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

15/16" isn't far enough off of 1" to make me say it's been cut. Need to drift it out, and see what you find below.
Spangler89
Beginner

Post by Spangler89 »

marlinman93 wrote:15/16" isn't far enough off of 1" to make me say it's been cut. Need to drift it out, and see what you find below.
I'll see about getting it out tonight after work. Before I mess it up a factory cut isn't directional is it? I know there's some sights that can't be drifted out one direction or the other.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Factory cuts are never directional, but sight bases are! Sight bases are cut in a slight wedge shape so they tighten as they're tapped into place. They are designed to go in from the right side. Right side being right as you would hold the gun to fire it. So to remove it you will drive it from left side to right.