Marlin Cross-reference Guide

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin Cross-reference Guide

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Utvolsfan77;

Hold onto your hat, because Marlin/Remington is going to produce a special 150th Anniversary version of the Model 60. This will be in celebration of the 150th anniversary of the founding of Marlin as a firearms producing business. So, you may want one of these to go along with the other Model 60's you have gathered. Marlin is also making a special version of the 444 Marlin rifle that will be engraved and have special wood and checking with a half octagon barrel.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

The Model 60 topic brings up personal sentiments for me as I had a great friend who collected them. I met Bud Forbes at a local gun show many decades ago, and was surprised as I got to know him better that in addition to his passion for early Marlins, he was even more passionate about Model 60's and variations based on that receiver.
When Bud passed away I helped his wife sell his collection of Model 60 variants, which numbered about 60 some guns, with no duplicates! And all were either NIB, or like new condition.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
utvolsfan77
Beginner

Post by utvolsfan77 »

Regnier (gunrunner) or Marlinman93,

Which sub-forum has the long post about Marlin rimfire rifle serial numbers prior to the Gun Control Act of 1968, from 1969 to 1972, and from 1973 until Marlin was bought out by Remington?

I have seen it and read it, but now I cannot find it or remember where it was. Thanks for your help!
utvolsfan77
Beginner

Post by utvolsfan77 »

Regnier (gunrunner),

Ended up being the high bidder on yet another Glenfield model 60 on a local online-only auction last night. Drove to pick it up earlier today and was pleasantly surprised by its physical condition. It didn't include the original box or manual, but appears as close to new condition as I have ever seen, showing none of the typical signs of having ever been refinished. I have no pictorial guide to go by, but if I had to grade it, I'd rate it as being at least 95%. This rifle had obviously been taken extremely good care of and probably saw very little actual use and minimal handling.

While inspecting it I noticed the serial number, 25418218, indicating it was made in 1975. Funny thing is that on the barrel it is marked ".22 Long Rifle Only". You may remember our prior conversation in this thread where I mentioned my very first gun was a model 60 purchased in July 1977, but that it should have been made in 1978 according to its serial number, 22342815. It is also specifically marked on the barrel as firing ".22 Short, Long, Long Rifle" cartridges. Well, the rifle I picked up today is roughly three years older than the one I bought in July 1977.

Was that normal for Marlin to change the type of .22 rounds back and forth multiple times? It just seems odd to me that they would start with short, long & long rifle cartridges, change to long rifle only, return to short, long & long rifle cartridges, and finally return to long rifle only. I seem to recall reading somewhere that Marlin made an engineering change in the early 1980s, changing the "Short, Long, Long Rifle" to "Long Rifle Only", which I thought was around the same time the "bolt locks halfway open after last round fired" feature appeared.

Can you or anyone else shed any light on this?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Utvolsfan77;

One thing we have learned about Marlin is never to say "Never". There are a couple of different reasons for the barrel designations. One is that Marlin may have produced a run of barrels that were stacked up for use, and a earlier barrel marking may have ended up in a later gun and/or vice/versa.
The barrel may have been changed in one or more of the guns in question is another possibility.
The post you were looking for is in this section under "Answer to your question "How old is my Gun"'
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
utvolsfan77
Beginner

Post by utvolsfan77 »

Thanks for your help!