OLD MARLIN 22 AUTO

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

tigweld
Marksman

Re: OLD MARLIN 22 AUTO

Post by tigweld »

Greg63Beezer,
You are welcome. Glad my posting helped you out with your rifle. Sounds like with replacement parts that you need you'll
be on your way to having the A1 in firing order. You might check online/phone for parts at Numrich/Gun Parts Corp., Jack First, Dick Williams Gun Parts.

Good Luck
"Let there be Welders,to attach metal things to other metal things"
SlateHouse
Beginner

Post by SlateHouse »

Can anyone tell me how to remove the firing pin from the breech bolt? I've been searching for information on how to do it, and there's not much out there.
tigweld
Marksman

Post by tigweld »

SlateHouse, Welcome to the forum. I will try and answer your question about removing the firing pin from the Marlin A1breech bolt. With the breech bolt removed from the rifle,look at the bottom of the recess which holds the bolt handle. You should see a small half circle Image The area in the photo is just below the bolt handle plunger. This is the bottom of the firing pin retaining pin. You will need a small drive pin punch, 1/16" in diameter or smaller to drive this pln out just far enough to free it from the firing pin. Then slide the firing pin out
towards the rear of the breech bolt.
I will try and post some better photos later.
"Let there be Welders,to attach metal things to other metal things"
TooOldToCare
Beginner

Post by TooOldToCare »

I have learned much from this thread and maybe one of you can help me with one of mine? This post is old, so it might be inactive. If not, here is my problem: The bumper screw at the rear of the receiver does not go all the way in. I have tried several and they only go about 3/4 of the way in. I have cleaned the threads as bet I can and wonder if there is anyone out there who has a tap they can chase the threads with? It is not a standard thread so it will need to be a highly specialized one. If anyone knows a gunsmith with that tap, please post contact information. I will send the receiver off and have them do some work. It is the first generation with the safety at the rear.

Thank you all. Tigweld, your information is highly appreciated!
newuser164
Beginner

Post by newuser164 »

Here you go for the disassembly/assembly of the Marlin A1. Note is for the A1 1st variation
which I own.
1)While the receiver/barrel is still in the stock,slide the bolt all the way back to the rear.
While pulling trigger,slowly move bolt forward. This will release the spring pressure on the hammer if the rifle is cocked. This will get away from "Dry Firing" the rifle.
2)Remove the magazine then receiver/barrel from the stock.

3)Remove the receiver bumper/safety retaining screw. Remove safety/safety spring.(http://www.pbase.com/tigweld/image/113470264)

4)Using a large screwdriver or coin,turn out receiver bumper screw counter clockwise a few
turns. (http://www.pbase.com/tigweld/image/113470273)

5)Turn out the bumper screw slowly by hand the rest of the way. (Caution) it is still under
some spring pressure so remove carefully. (http://www.pbase.com/tigweld/image/113470281)

6)After the bumper screw is out you'll see the action disc and the recoil/hammer springs.
(http://www.pbase.com/tigweld/image/113470364)

Will post reassembly instuctions in next posting.

Note: Author disclaims any responsibility for damage,accident or injury
[/quote]

Hello tigweld,

I have what I believe to be a marlin A1C. Can I follow these instructions? any idea how the A1C would differ from the A1?

thanks.

newuser164
Beginner

Post by newuser164 »

Thanks so much I used this to disassemble/assemble my A1C I picked up at auction :D

Question - If the trigger stays back after firing the action, or after just pulling the trigger back, is something wrong, or is this because there is no cartridges loaded?

Thanks again.
JimmyRingo
Beginner

Post by JimmyRingo »

Have a Ranger 34A which appears to be a Marlin A1. Bolt handle appears stuck. Any suggestions?
JimmyRingo
Beginner

Post by JimmyRingo »

Had to remove peening on extractor to remove extractor. Bolt handle appears to be hand-made with a hole drilled in the base of the bolt handle rather than the ring machined around the base of the bolt handle. The extracor may also be a hand-made replacement as it extended into the bolt handle.
Finally disassembled. Luckily I have a spare bolt and bolt handle.

I have three A1s (2 marlin/1 Ranger) and seven Model 50s (6 Martlin/1 Ranger). All 50s have magazines have magazines. I bought the first one in 1956. Anybody interested in purchasing a collection/