Marlin 81-DL feeding issues

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

FontanaHorseman
Beginner

Marlin 81-DL feeding issues

Post by FontanaHorseman »

I have an older 81-DL that will not feed.

I have replaced the bolt face, ejector spring and the cartridge carrier.

The carrier will not allow the next round to enter it - the center piece is not dropping low enough to let the round enter the carrier.

Any ideas on what to do to either modify the carrier or tweak something to make the carrier drop lower????

anything???

Thanks, FH
Jimboman
Beginner

Re: Marlin 81-DL feeding issues

Post by Jimboman »

I have exactly the same problem. To the T. Please let me know if you find a solution!
Wyo Marlin Fan
Beginner

Post by Wyo Marlin Fan »

I had the same problem with my 81. Replacing the carrier and carrier spring fixed mine but the Cartridge Carrier Base could also be worn. Mine is but not enough to be a problem. I'm not sure where one can be found, Numrich Gun Parts shows them (part #403630B) but they are and have been sold out for some time.

Hope this helps, sorry I don't have more info.
greenebt1
Beginner

Post by greenebt1 »

I ran across this thread while looking for the answer for an unrelated issue. I had the same problem with my 81. The fix was replacing the cartridge guide spring. In order to replace it you have to knock the pin that joins the receiver and the barrel with a punch. Of course I didn't figure all this out til after I had replaced the cartridge carrier and spring. Hope this fixes your issue if you haven't already.