XT-22 Date of Manufacture

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Opschief3537
Beginner

XT-22 Date of Manufacture

Post by Opschief3537 »

Greetings,

I picked up a Marlin XT-22 for my son and am trying to determine what year is was manufactured? The serial number is MM58720B. Any assistance is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Linville
Beginner

Re: XT-22 Date of Manufacture

Post by Linville »

This makes me feel VERY discouraged. I am here for the same reason. My XT-22 also has an "MM" prefix.
I lost the link, but the only reference I have found so far states:
RANDOM NOTES -
Sometime in 2011 the serial number prefix became MR. This was done in conjunction with the sale of Marlin, and subsequent move to the Remington Arms plant in Ilion, NY. Speculation is that once receivers started being manufactured at the Ilion, NY, plant the prefix became MR.
***While potentially not relevant to this specific thread. As of late 2013, a Marlin .22 RF rifle (XT-22 Mag) had a serial number prefix of MM reported and verified. It is unknown as of December 2013 how Marlin (”Remlin”) will continue with their serial numbering convention.
It is important to note that some “budget” Marlin Rimfire rifles that were manufactured prior to 1968 did not have a serial number. Many of these had letter “codes” on them that will help ID date of manufacture. See here for these guns.

Sadly, they only mention the 22mag.
LilRascal
Beginner

Re: XT-22 Date of Manufacture

Post by LilRascal »

Remington moved the Marlin plants in 2010 to Illion NY and Maysville Kentucky. They began using MM to start the serial numbers and then went sequentially so no way to tell actual year. MM is used to denote the Maysville plant.