Model 36 pump

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

GeneB
Beginner

Model 36 pump

Post by GeneB »

Hi, first post here - I posted this on a couple other sites and have not gotten any new information, hopefully someone here has something to add. I've found almost nothing on the history of these other than what is in Brophy's book, someone must have the example that is pictured in it.

This is a copy of what I posted on another site -

I picked up an unmarked receiver that I found to be for a Model 36 single shot pump. The parts are all unfinished 'in the white'. A complete gun is shown in Brophy's Marlin book on page 459, that's about all the information I can find and he says this Model did not go into production. The fit & metal prep is exceptional with a tighter fit than found on most production models.

The hammer and how it is attached is different than the patent, but the other parts look identical and also match parts that can be seen in the pictures in Brophy's book.

The bolt & firing pin, the trigger, the hammer & trigger springs, the stock attaching screw, and forearm appear to be common with some other models, all the other parts are specific to a 36 and would not work in any other model. Even the stocks from other models will not fit due to the way the tangs are tapered.

Rock Island Auction had one listed a couple years ago but I found it to be a fake. It was a Model 29 takedown pump that was modified to single shot and had a crooked 36 hand stamped over the 29, a true 36 is a solid frame. It was poorly re-blued with a lot of pitting and the parts to make it a single shot were unfinished and showed crude workmanship. It had the hole for the magazine attachment in the barrel welded and a knurled stock attaching screw added which on a takedown gun is really only for appearance.
rockislandauction.com/detail/2022/452
GeneB
Beginner

Re: Model 36 pump

Post by GeneB »

I see (well, no... I don't see!) the pictures do not show up, I'll try that again -

Image Image Image Image Image Image