"Marble"Gladstone peep sight

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

otherwise
Beginner

"Marble"Gladstone peep sight

Post by otherwise »

I have a '20s Model 39 with a "Marble" peep sight. That's how it's written on the sight. Shoots very accurately, but I need to have the peep all the way up to hit on target at 50 feet in indoor range. It's clear that we need to shoot outdoors (when the snow is gone) but I'm wondering what a typical range would be for a peep sight on that gun.
Tried to add images but it looks like they need a url and mine are on the desktop.
Thanks
Brent
Sharpshooter

Re: "Marble"Gladstone peep sight

Post by Brent »

I believe your sight staff is in backwards. The screw in eye piece should screw in from the rear. The base looks right, but not the staff. I'm not sure how that can be actually. I'll have to look at my Marbles on my 1951 39a.

You should be easily able to zero out to 100 yds. I usually zero for about 4o yds for rabbit and squirrel hunting, using subsonic ammo.

Is your front sight too high for some reason? Is it original to the gun?
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Marbles staffs can be reversed, so simply turn it all the way up until it comes off, and then turn it 180 degrees and reinstall it. Have you loosened the lock collar below the knurled staff adjustment to elevate your stem higher? It appears to be set fairly low, and should have a lot more stem inside to allow it to raise.
You can take the two mounting screws out, and there will be a code on the bottom of the base. If you post the code here I can tell you what Marlin it was made for. But it appears to be correct for a small frame like your 39.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
otherwise
Beginner

Post by otherwise »

Thanks both of you for the input.
I did turn the staff 180 so that's done.
In the pic, the peep is not at the height it was at the 50 foot range setting, which was all the way up, and we still had to shoot low.
I could not loosen the screw in knurled peep hole part, soaked it in wd40 but no dice, did not want to mark the part, and I think it's probably not necessary.
That's good advice on potential range, it will be good to see how we can do.
Best,
David