HMR 17 Identification

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Wyndrunner777
Beginner

HMR 17 Identification

Post by Wyndrunner777 »

My dad gave me a Marlin 917VS HMR17 that is supposedly a promo or limited edition model. He picked it up from a Marlin salesman while working in a gun shop in SD around 2004-2006. The serial # places it’s production as 2004. That model is listed as Gray/Black with SS barrel. Mine is a beautiful red/brown walnut looking color with a SS barrel. I have not found any mention of this version anywhere, to include pics. Any help is appreciated.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: HMR 17 Identification

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Wyndrunner777;

There were two different 917 Models made in 2004. One did have the Gray/Black laminated stock with the stainless steel barrel and the other had a Micro-Groove steel barrel and a walnut finished hardwood stock. The 917VS had the laminated stock as you mentioned and the 917V had the walnut finished stock. If your father bought it from a Marlin Salesman, the Salesman may have had a 917VS made up with the walnut finished stock as a sample thinking the solid wood stock may make for a better example to show potential customers. You would need to find that Salesman and ask him if that was the case. Salesmen did have some influence at the factory in what was made up special.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Wyndrunner777
Beginner

Re: HMR 17 Identification

Post by Wyndrunner777 »

Thank you! I was wondering if by chance this was a custom deal because it did not match anything I could find. It clearly says it is a VS model, but the stock most certainly doesn't match any pics or descriptions for that model. Thank you.