Marlin 39A Early to Late Switch Date

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

retcolusa
Beginner

Marlin 39A Early to Late Switch Date

Post by retcolusa »

Is there an "official" date when the designation for the 39A changed from Early to Late Model? If not, how do you tell if your 39A is an Early or a Late Model?
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Marlin 39A Early to Late Switch Date

Post by marlinman93 »

I personally don't think it's as easy as just "early" or "late" versions, since there were numerous significant changes over the life span of the 39a. Some people consider the addition of the cross bolt safety and rebounding hammer (1988) to be the dividing line. Some consider it to be the introduction of Microgroove rifling (1954). And still yet, some consider the pre WWII case colored frames, vs. 1945 and later blued frames as the dividing point.
I personally look at all of the above as significant differences, which all add value to whichever you own, or detract value as the changes got newer. I think the top of the heap for the 39a was the earliest case colored receiver guns. After that it was all downhill. Even though the post WWII 39a's are still wonderful, they're not as valuable as pre WWII. Microgroove barreled 39a's aren't as valuable as 1945-54 guns are with Ballard rifling. But the 1988 changes really are looked at as huge deficits to value.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
retcolusa
Beginner

Re: Marlin 39A Early to Late Switch Date

Post by retcolusa »

Mine is a 1947 DOM rifle, so I'm "assuming" it's an early model.