Marlin 39A Date of Manufacture

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

marcussn
Beginner

Marlin 39A Date of Manufacture

Post by marcussn »

I have a 39A with serial number 73123111 on the tang behind the hammer. The barrel is marked "The Marlin Firearms Co. North Haven. Conn. U.S.A. CAL. 22 S. L. & L.R. MICRO-GROOVE BARREL ORIGINAL GOLDEN-39A. It has the JM proof mark on the left side of the barrel just in front of the receiver. It has no safety, and is tapped for a scope. Any help determining the date of manufacture would be appreciated.
marcussn
Beginner

Re: Marlin 39A Date of Manufacture

Post by marcussn »

After reading more posts in this forum, I have the following additional info:

The receiver is blued;
The barrel is round;
The trigger is gold.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Marcussn;

From 1969 to 1972, Marlin used the first two digits of the serial number to indicate the year of manufacture. In 1973, Marlin changed the system because dealers complained that Marlin was "dating" the inventory with that old system. So, in 1973, Marlin's new system subtracted the first two digits from 100 to determine the year of manufacture (i.e. 100 - 27 = 73 or 1973)
Since your gun starts with 73, it may be that the first guns off the line in 1973 were serialized the old way whereas the first two digits were the year of manufacture. I say this because 100 - 73 = 27 so that would indicate 1927, NOT!! Or 2027 and we have not gotten there yet!
This is of course, speculation because none of it can be proven, but it really makes the most sense and sometimes things at Marlin changed a little slow.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
marcussn
Beginner

Post by marcussn »

Thank you very much!