Marlin '92 Action Question (feeding)

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

ssg_davis
Beginner

Marlin '92 Action Question (feeding)

Post by ssg_davis »

I have a Marlin 1892 .22 rimfire. It is marked MARLIN MODEL '92 on the tang and the serial number is 305500. (1903 manufacture I believe). I just purchased it and plan to restore it to shooting condition. The loading tube is intact and feeds properly. The ejector is missing. The problem is when it is cycled, the cartridge pretty much stands straight up on the carrier with the angle being to great to properly feed into the chamber. If the cartridge is hand fed, it extracts properly. My question is, would the absence of the ejector cause this, or is it a carrier, or carrier rocker problem? the carrier itself looks fine. Nothing overly worn by my observation. Any guidance here would be appreciated before I call Wisner's and start ordering parts.
ssg_davis
Beginner

Re: Marlin '92 Action Question (feeding)

Post by ssg_davis »

A quick correction. The manufacture by serial number is actually 1904. But I find this confusing because the information states that the '18 wasn't dropped to become just MODEL 92 until 1905. :?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

SSG_Davis;

The nomenclature between Model 1892 and '92 changed who knows when. As the roll dies to mark the model number wore out, then they were replaced and updated. Same can be said for the Model 1897/'97 and 1894/'94. I doubt that they were all changed at the same time as roll dies were expensive to make and used for as long as they could. The Model 1893 die was used to 1921 and changed to Mod. '93 after that.

As to your problem, a good cleaning sometimes helps. What about the cartridge stop in the side of the receiver? Is it working properly? The rocker may be something to be looking at. There is something amiss there causing the cartridge to not feed properly onto the carrier. Is the carrier dropping to the lowest point that it should after cycling the lever? That is the rocker holding something up. The missing ejector is not the problem as your trouble starts before it is ever exposed when the bolt is opened.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
ssg_davis
Beginner

Post by ssg_davis »

Thanks for your help. I talked to Wisner's this afternoon. He mentioned the cartridge stop and also the cartridge guide spring. I am getting ready to thoroughly check each one. I hope it's not the stop as he said there is no replacement for those :roll: I have an old one in my parts box though just in case. I am also having a problem with extraction. T=it extracts live rounds just fine. However the spent rounds stick and the extractor slips off of them. Any ideas?
gollywobbler
Beginner

Post by gollywobbler »

Extraction - Check clearance between end of lever and bolt surface when closed. Anything more than .015" will prevent bolt from closing and extractor from engaging rim. Carefully weld overlay at end of lever and flat file to matchimg contour until bolt closes completely. Check headspace with cartridge and shape accordingly.
Usually unnoticed - Wax buildup will show as ring just ahead of magazing plunger tip as it enters action to load carrier. Cartridge head will stop here and prevent feed. Clean with .32 caliber brush until clear. This is a dangerous condition especially with the 1891 and 1892 without cartridge stop. Gun looks unloaded when it is not.
The best of L.L. Hepburn