XXX Standard 1872 questions.

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Hilldweller
Beginner

XXX Standard 1872 questions.

Post by Hilldweller »

I’m a bit confused about the long/short cylinders, as well as the generation of the one I have.
I have a XXX Standard 1872, fully engraved (matches one or two of the ones found on Brophy's book page 108) with the silver (nickel?) plated receiver, blued round fluted barrel and fluted cylinder, and pearl grips. Silver/Nickel looks to be about 80%+ there, the bluing on the barrel and cylinder has morphed into a brown, almost case-hardened look; although the bluing on the trigger and hammer (which shows some wear) is still pretty well black. The serial number on the frame is 594. No other numbers on the piece that I can find. I'm assuming that it's .30rf but without a cartridge I can't be sure if it’s short or long. The cylinder measures .997.5 inches.

Deleted my photobucket account long ago after their rules changed and some other sites restricted its use.
Would be happy to forward pics if there is no way to post pics without another online account. Just PM me with an email addy.
Perhaps if you get them you can post them in a reply for me. All help is appreciated.

Also interested if there’s anyone out there with a proper main spring for the piece. I think this one is from another old piece. If no one has one they’d part with perhaps you could advise on what to look for in a parts gun purchase.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: XXX Standard 1872 questions.

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Hilldweller;

That cylinder is for the .30 caliber long cartridge. The long XXX Standards fall into the 3rd variation of the XXX Standard models. Some think that the short is one variation of the 3rd variation and the long should be the fourth variation, but they are all round, ribbed barrel with fluted cylinders, which was introduced in the 3rd variation.
The 594 serial number can either be one of two with that number as there are two different barrel markings on the XXX Standard long guns.
One will measure 1 5/8 inch while the other will measure 1 7/8 inches long. Both will have U.S.A. in the marking.
The internal parts of the Standard revolvers are pretty much interchangeable. I believe I have an extra main spring that I would part with.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Hilldweller
Beginner

Post by Hilldweller »

That would be great, and thanks for the info. Happy to send pics to your email. Just drop me a line and we can discuss your terms... :D

Jolands@msn.com
Road King
Expert

Post by Road King »

Here is a photo of Hilldweller's XXX Standard 1872.

Road King
" More guns then I need, but not as many as I want."